Why do people post pictures of their child nursing?

Just wondering. I breastfeed, but I have no desire to post pictures of my son nursing and just show the side of his head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt but im still in nasty awe.. Why on earth would you do that.. Good ? mama... I dont see the need in it myself..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know, right. I never understood this.

I think breastfeeding women are always trying to prove something!! I hate seeing pictures like this and you might say then don't look, but it's kind of like a trainwreck, you know, with those saggy, strecth marked tatas hanging out for the world to see! JMO!

I breastfed too, but I never had any desire to take a pic.
    Anonymous

• I also breastfeed and find it distasteful that women want to show off their breastfeeding activities. I have also never breastfed in public because for me breastfeeding is a quiet, relaxing, special time between my son and I, not a public display.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I breastfed both kids, in fact, I'm still BFing my son, I love it, I'm very proud of it, it is my greatest accomplishment to date, I STG, but I don't have any pics of it. Shoot, in all this BFing time I only BF'd in public once and that was on a remote bench far off the beaten path and I covered up, lol. So, while I personally wouldn't post a pic like that, I do think many are absolutely beautiful and capture a moment that at least BFers can relate to and enjoy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well I guess if formula fed moms can post pics with their kid with their bottle hanging out of their mouths then...

I didn't BF but I find those photos to be so comforting, loving and it shows such an amazing bond. Doesn't bother me at all.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Some pictures in National Geographic are pretty "repugnant".

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Because it's beautiful, and a well-lit, well-composed breastfeeding photograph is art. These photos, for example, are artistic and beautiful and capture one of the most innocent and beautiful things on this earth. http://www.albrightcreativeimagery.com/newborn/breastfeeding/breastfeeding.php  There is nothing more morally repugnant or shameful about these photos than there is in a National Geographic magazine that no one ever gives a second thought about. Even if breastfeeding photography is not professional or "artistic" doesn't make it any less legitimate than a snapshot taken at a wedding vs. a professional portrait.

yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 4:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I took pictures of DD breastfeeding when she was a newborn because it was one of the few times she wasn't screaming lol She is a very high needs child and loved the comfort of being close to mommy. And I love the pictures :~) No they are not on display for everyone to see. But someday DD will look at her baby book and know part of her backround.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We are raised in the United STates to view our bodies as needing to be covered up and private. I have no problems with tasteful breastfeeding pictures. Do I want to be sitting in a resturant with someone in the next booth with her breasts hanging out with a 2 year old on one and a infant on the other UH NO.......... No I dont. I dont think that Im asking to much for breastfeeding moms to cover themselves. I did. I applaud momma's who can bf..........I just dont want to see your boobies.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Because the image of a loving and gentle mama feeding and comforting her baby the way God intended is one of the most BEAUTIFUL images, ever!
    ap.sahm

Answer by ap.sahm at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009