Has anyone else has problems finding good daycare for their special needs child?

My son has Down syndrome. He is in a fabulous in home daycare, but finding one was a nightmare! I phone interviewed over 10 daycare providers. They all started off great. Until I said "Down syndrome". Here are some of the responses:
1. Does he look like a real kid?
2. We keep kids like him separate from the normal kids.
3. Did you drink when you pregnant?
4. Those kids cost more and we don't take them on our field trips.

I was appalled and very sad. Why are people like that? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Momtocccd

Asked by Momtocccd at 4:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I havent had a similair experience though my son is special needs I just stay home with him. It works for us but I can imagine your frustration. In our society there is an overall lack of awareness when it comes to a handicap that isnt easily seen. It is sad since many down syndrome patients can live perfectly "normal" lives with varrying degrees of assistance. There needs to be more eductaion about disease we may not be able to see or dont understand well, like mental illness, down syndrome etc. I hate that people just toss them to the side
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh and as far as the "Did you drink while you were pregnant" question goes I would have said" No but apparently your mother did..." MUAH HA HA
    humaniterian87

• I have never tried to find day care for my son, but I am appalled by the comments you received. I know a lady locally who contacted several preschools for her daughter and said she was in tears at the end of the day. She finally found a very accepting program that includes her daughter in everything they do.

I love the last comment!!
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 4:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well, my last daycare nightmare was played out in our group. I am appalled at the questions you received. I never had to go through that. I do pay extra for daycare because my DD is not potty trained, but it is the same policy for all children in our current daycare.

I also love Humanitarian's last comment. hee hee
    SeeCadysMomRun

Answer by SeeCadysMomRun at 5:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I just wanted to add to my previous response, that I would not (and I'm sure you wouldn't either) want my child in any daycare or preschool that asked such idiotic and head-up-their a**holes comments anyway!
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 5:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I reported 4 of the centers to the local DHS. Two of them have been shut down.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 5:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Two of those are just rude, the other two are illegal as _______
    Mom2AidenW

Answer by Mom2AidenW at 10:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am a SAHM so havent had to worry about daycare, though there is a daycare specifically for special needs kids where they work to integrate them with typical kids in a supportive setting just down the street. I have gotten the stupid comments: "did you do something wrong while you were pregnant" "is there a cure for it? they should make a cure!" and of course "will he grow out of it" and now that I am pregnant again "is there something wrong with this one too?" Ahh people cant live with them, cant legally punch them!
    usmc_wifey230

Answer by usmc_wifey230 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2009