Do you have any tactics?

The company i work for, i have to go throught the accounts receivalbe list and call people on past due accounts. It use to not be a problem when i called people they paid. But now days, Yeah right. YOu call them, they don't answer, they don't call you back, or they lie and tell you they will send something and don't. I am not a confrontational person, adn don't like to be rude to people but now i am gettign my ass reemed because people wont pay. It is my fault the accounts receivable are so high. Yet i am not the one who okayed the people to charge. And it is always the ones that you know and thought you knew well that are sticking you with the account. We are a small business, and i don't know what to do. I mean all i can do is call. I can't do anything if they ignore my calls or lie. Any suggestion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• find a new job?
    Anonymous

• yeah, a little more helpful information than that. Its not like jobs are plentaful.
    Anonymous

• My DH has hi8s own business we are in the same boat. 2 yrs ago we had 4 unpaid accts at the end of the fiscal quarter. The last two quarters we have over 100. We provided goods and services and not we are being robbed of the monies owed us. The problem gets worse. It costs US money to turn it over to collections to get any back. Couple that with the amount of people out of work and we get screwed both ways. It would be refreshing for a change for someone to at least say to us "Ms A, I'm sorry I have been deliquent. I can't pay you now but I will pay you no matter how long it takes."
    Anonymous

• Okay, I have two pieces of advice that seemed to have worked when I needed to pay something (and did) ;0

1. Make them a deal ( if you can at your small business). Knock off the last 2 payments if they pay you what is owed in increments. Or knock off a % if they pay in 2 or less payments.
    2. Just talk. Just talk so they don't really have too much space to say no or so they feel bad if they just hang up on you. Just talk and show some professional empathy. This will one build a relationship with you and two make them feel comfortable talking about what they can really afford.
    * The worst thing people do when they call me for business or bill delinquency is sound like they are aggressive/impersonal/not caring that I'm a person. I don't know what your style used to be or currently is, but right now is a sensitive time. I've had a CSR phone job before, too, though, and I just got burnt out eventually...
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 5:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• 2. Just talk. Just talk so they don't really have too much space to say no or so they feel bad if they just hang up on you. Just talk and show some professional empathy. This will one build a relationship with you and two make them feel comfortable talking about what they can really afford.

This is bad advice. If you continue to talk, that doesn't give them a chance to respond. Personally, I refuse to deal with collection agencies. I have had my accounts turned to collection agencies even though I was making payments. I have had collectors call me while drunk & beligerent and threaten me. I have had them call my elderly neighbors stating it was an emergency that they talk to me. These tactics are why I will NOT deal with a collection agency.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I will not call anyone back that I do not know. When you leave a message, be sure to say which account you are calling about. This will allow the person to put together some info BEFORE calling you back. Often times people are blindsided when collectors call and demand repayment. This puts people on the defensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would suggest that you also send them a nice letter or postcard (cheaper) that says something like "We know you are experienceing difficult times right now. What can we do to help ease your burden? Please call us and set up arraingments to ease your stess and keep us all in business."

Most people are dealing with the fear of the economy and are thinking mainly about their own survival. If you can connect with them about how you as a company is also in the sruggle and working to survive as well you are more likely to reach a relationship connection with them.

Reminding debtors that they are not alone in this process with kindness and looking to solve the solution I have found that people really are good spirited & just need to be remeinded on how important they play a role in getting through the tough time.

Good luck and remember to not take it personally. It is not your fault just the responsibility of the job.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 3:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009