Anyone know of a good book or website to brush up on my math skills?

I have a 7th grader and a 5th grader. Sometimes I'm at a loss to help them. I need a good reference tool.

Rush3s

Asked by Rush3s at 4:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• just tell them if you dont remember it now, it must not be important and you will totally back them up if they choose not to learn it.... TOTALLY KIDDING! Isn't it sad to know when we were in math class saying "But I'll never even use this!" we were actually right? There is a computer game called jump start (has a frog on it) it helps kids (and forgetful parents) brush up on skills relevant to their grade level (its sold by jumpstart 1st grade etc) I guess I would try that. Its pretty fun too
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• there is a book out called what every (insert grade) should know. As for us we just make up math equations of us my old basic math skills book from college.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's ok to not remember 5th grade or 7th grade math. But you have here a GOLDEN opportunity to model figuring things out. This skill is more important than fractions anyway!

So... when faced with a stumper of a math problem, say that you don't know, can't remember, always had trouble with this yourself, and ask your child "how could we figure this out?" TOGETHER find a good website or call her school's homework support line or find a friend who's good at math or whatever. Make figuring out how to learn hard stuff the real point of the lesson. Your child will gain valuable skill in being resourceful, will get the point that just doing a shoddy job of her homework is not acceptable, and eventually she will learn to be resourceful first and ask you for help second.
    Dr.A

Answer by Dr.A at 5:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• http://www.math.com/
    I hope this is some help> good luck
    HELLOITSDONNA

Answer by HELLOITSDONNA at 7:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009