How many jobs do you have?

Check your local newspaper's help wanted online. I just went through ours, and not counting the obvious work at home scams, the Employment 1 scam (they charge you to find a job, and it's never the one advertised), and the ads that are actually for unemployment support groups at churches, there are about 35 listings here. That is including the listings for exotic dancers and "tribute band guitarist." We have ~10k ppl unemployed.
Just curious, based on some comments in the other questions about daycare benefits and sahm vs working.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, I checked it out- today alone we have over 50 ads on craigslist lehigh valley. Let's subtract the ads for "gorgeous Calendar grandmothers" wanted, and you still have 40. I think I live in a job heavy area. . . I didn't even get down to yesterdays ads.

But hey, If there are any gorgeous grandma's in the lehigh valley that want to partake in a calendar- it's all about craigslist, baby, no judgement here. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have two jobs, working about 60+ hours a week.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Do you mean how many jobs in the classified section in our area, or how many jobs do we have individually (netting an income)?
    Anonymous

• I don't have a job. I lost my job because the company couldn't afford to pay me anymore. So now I just stay at home and make money selling stuff.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's not worth advertising in the paper anymore. The cost isn't worth the turnout. . .

We use craigslist a lot for hiring, it's free. It used to be, locally, $400 to run an ad thursday through sunday. A lot of the news stations are running free ads for people who are offering jobs, as well.

Hiring isn't what it used to be- if you're looking at the want ads, you're looking in the wrong place.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Do you mean how many jobs in the classified section in our area

That - I should've phrased it better.

As for Craigslist - we have 15 ads there - and some of those are just university students looking for tutors.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I just applied to a job on Craigslist. I didn't even know they had jobs. I thought it was all selling stuff. But somebody told me there were job listings just last Wednesday. I hope they call me because I would love to get back into this type of work and the place is VERY close.
    Anonymous

• I don't get the paper, but the Denver Post online job search has close to 400 listings (I didn't take time to weed out all the scams). I also looked at the job listings at the mall near me and 30 stores are hiring. No one there was hiring even a month ago (and no one at that mall hired seasonal help over Christmas). Most of the job listings I looked at were healthcare and tech jobs though. Which is good news for me because I was in healthcare but my job was in research and was cut because funding was cut. I guess things here are picking up, but they weren't as bad here as in some places.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I counted the "reality tv casting" ad, so I guess the Hawt Grannies can count too :p
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• ive been looking for a job (sorta) for the past few weeks & theres a TON of jobs for RNs, LPNS, & licensed therapists. other than that there are maybe 100-150. our paper is pretty good about weeding out scams.

the economy isnt all that bad here in OKC.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009