• In the Spotlight:

Almost 12 months old and the pickiest eater!

My son is almost a year old and is such a picky eater. I try different stage 3 foods and he mostly likes the fruits and sweet veggies. He spits out the veggie beef, turkey veggie, veggie lentils, peas, greenbeans,etc. I don't blame him b/c it tastes nasty. I am wondering what I should do about getting him to eat his veggies, meats, etc? Should I be feeding him off my plate? Seems like he wants what we have. Last night I made spaghetti and he seemed to love it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Doctor said it's ok and to just keep trying. It does get frustrating though.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 4:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All kids have different tastes, some are pickier than others. I started feeding all 3 of my girls our food around 12 months, just made sure that their meal was balanced if ours was not.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Go to walmart and get a small electric food grinder. They cost about 12 bucks and are awesome. Grind up what your eating as long as its not overly spicey or salty. Vege's can just be smashed with a fork. Baby food is yucky lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would definitely give him bits of what the family is eating. You can mush up chewy things - like meat - in a hand-cranked baby food grinder or mini-food processor ($$) or just cut things up small and put some on his tray or in front of him wherever he is. I've never known a child who really liked "baby food" but most kids will gobble up whatever mom and dad are eating. (This won't last - pretty soon he'll be picky again and want to only eat macaroni and cheese or peanut butter and jelly. But for a while you'll be able to get your child to eat veggies and protein along with you.) If you can let him feed himself - pick things up with his fingers - he'll be even happier.

Good luck!
    Dr.A

Answer by Dr.A at 5:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• By 9 months our son was eating what we ate. I limit the fruit to just one or two servings a day, one service of meat or other protein and the rest veggies. I want him used to eating veggies of all flavors and don't want him getting a preference for the sweet stuff. What you can't mash with a fork you can put in a blender or food grinder to make it easier for him to eat. I don't feed him spicy things, like salsa or chilis but I also don't make him separate dishes for him without seasonings. His favorite thing is garlic mashed potatoes
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009