Religion VS evolution question

So my brother is studying to be a catholic priest and the other day we were talking about teaching evolution in school and things like that and most people know that the catholic church does not believe in evolution but, this is my brothers take on it and I want to know what you all think. My brother is a strong believer in god but, he also believes in scientific evidence that shows how long the earth has been here and that evolution happened and what he thinks is that god created us USING evolution what do you all think?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think he is desperately trying to hold on to his faith, in light of the ever growing compelling evidence that there just simply is no god!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yeah....my brother and I are way different he is studying to be a priest and I am agnostic......pretty funny huh?

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Awesome momofone. Sounds like you do get along well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Very possible
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's great that you can get along, even though your beliefs are so different. My sister believes in god, but not really any particular religion. We often talk about it, and we usually just end up agreeing to disagree. I love my sister, and although I think she is wrong, I can see how she needs to believe in a higher power to help her, since her daughter is severely mentally handicapped, and probably wont make it to adulthood. Believing that God has a plan helps her deal with the reality that she will lose my niece prematurely, and I would never dream of taking that away from her, and causing her more pain.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I thought the Vatican released something a while back saying that evolution did not conflict with creation? I'll dig around, but I could swear it was something like that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Here found it.

As for me - I think we don't have enough information.  For all we know, the fiber-network of the universe is actually a culture growing in a petri dish so huge we cannot see its floor or walls.  It is entirely possible that we are nothing more than part of a science experiment so huge we don't even count.  It's also possible that we create and destroy worlds every day with no idea because the inhabitants are so small we don't even realize they exist.  Imagine if every time you left something in tupperware at the back of your fridge too long, some sub-microscopic spark created a whole new univers so tiny science doesn't have the tools.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have always believed that creation and evolution are not mutually exclusive. I am a firm believer in Creator Guided Evolution...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I read the same Vatican statement about a week ago that NotPanicking mentioned. The Catholic church believes that evolution is true, but that G-d is the agent that first allowed life to occur on the planet.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I can absolutely believe that God used and evolving of sorts to create the Earth and everything in it. I think theres misconceptions about how old the Earth is because of the different interpretations of the Bible. I haven't studied end times and I haven't studied the whole earth age thing. I think because I don't feel it matters in the grand scheme of things. I do believe in different Earth ages though. I wish I could explain that so others could understand it, but its so hard to put that down into written word.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009