Should I switch to something other than formula?

My son is 11months and for the past 2+weeks has gone from eating 4-6oz of formula per feeding to ~2oz (If I'm lucky). It doesn't matter if I give it to him from a bottle, or from a sippy cup, he'll only take 2oz at a time. I'm afraid he's not getting the nutrients he needs, or the liquid. Not sure if there is something else I should try to get him to drink more?

JP0425

Asked by JP0425 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How often is he getting formula? What else does he eat? At 11 months he should be pretty much done w/ the formula anyhow. Maybe he'd take milk instead...
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 5:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• maybe you should just try apply jucie and add water in it if he is not used to it. or just try whole milk or 2% milk if he has a weak stomach
    D4rk_4ng3l

Answer by D4rk_4ng3l at 5:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• what i did for my daughter is taking her formula and filling it half way up in her bottle and mixed whole milk in it and each day i would put more whole milk in it till she got used to it. after that i put her on 2% milk cuz she would get concipated with whole milk
    D4rk_4ng3l

Answer by D4rk_4ng3l at 5:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• whole milk not 2 percent!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• at 11 months you could definitely start teh transition to whole milk, you can also give those liquids in a sippy cup to help with that transition as well. I wouldnt worry about the decrease in apetite as long as he is eating something he is probably fine and will probably resume a ravenous pattern in a day or so. But if he starts to exhibit other symptoms like lethargy dilated pupils or anything out of the normal really have him evaluated by his pediatrician
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Is he eating pretty well on solids? If so, I would just make the transition to milk. Maybe he his eating well on solids and he's not hungry enough for formula. Remember they recommend not more than 4 ozs of juice a day.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009