what are hiccups?

Really, I never understood what hiccups REALLY were...what are they? MY son had them all throughout my pregnancy and still gets them a lot at 14 months

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well for babies its for diaphram to grow... I got them a lot too with all three of my pregnancies, lol.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son's pediatrician told me that hiccups occur because of a diaphram spasm. My son would always have the hiccups when he would have muscle spasms in his arms. but as soon as he calms down and stops moving his hiccups would stop.
    JakesMom0606

Answer by JakesMom0606 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's a spasm, like PP said.
    Anonymous

• Hiccups are not caused by a spasm of the diaphram, they're caused by spasms of the digestive system (alimentary canal). Spasms occur between the esophagus (throat) and the stomach opening. The diaphram is responsible for your ability to inhale or exhale--when you inhale it goes down, creating more room for your lungs to expand, when you exhale, it goes up, helping your lungs deflate. If your diaphram spasmed, you would be unable to or have serious difficulty breathing!

Your digestive system is in constant motion--like waves in the ocean--passing digested and undigested foods, nutrients, and waste through the body. When you disrupt this natural wave pattern, hiccups result--usually caused by eating or drinking too quickly, causing too much air to enter the digestive system--resulting in burping or gas! Excessive burping can disrupt the natural wave pattern, causing hiccups.

Hope this helps! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2009