old timers

i went to my grandma's for the weekend and my 6 mo old is teething and my grandma put her finger down in the jack daniels bottle and rubed her finger on my baby gums. my baby did stop crying and it did help, but i was kinda uncomfortable feeling. i know that back in the day they probaly did this all the time but how would you feel if this happen to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd be pissed.. thats why we buy orajel..... I had someone start to give my kid a drink of their beer once, and we yelled at them.. and then we left. We've decided since then our kids are never going to be around people that are drinking. Cuz they're just dumbasses, lol.. I know that wasn't situation.. But just tell them now a days... we have things for teething..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would feel pissed. And you need to say if you are, or it will keep going, and get worse. You are the mom... You make the rules, but you do have to enforce them :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I still do that. Works great. I think it's actually better than using oragel crap. And it's just a few drops.
    Anonymous

• what do you think the active ingredient in orajel is? it's a type of alcoholic ingredient, alcohol is a numbing agent. now giving them enough to swallow is a whole other story
    Anonymous

• LOL.....I think its funny. We get too worked up about stuff like that these days. Most meds have more alcohol in them that what she did. If it helps, then so be it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would be uncomfortable as well, in fact my grandmother insists that a teaspoon of sugar will get rid of hiccups and I always cringe when my son gets the hiccups over there. Its like you dont want to offend Grandma but you want to protect your baby. Maybe bring a "flask" along when you go to visit grandma and when your baby cries from teething dip your finger in your "whiskey" and rub it on her gums. Only you and your baby have to know its only water or something. Then grandma isnt offended and your baby isnt drunk. The numbing agent is oragel ISNT alcohol its benzocaine by the way. For babies there is enough alcohol in hand sanitizer for them to get drunk by sucking your fingers after you have used it. Your not overreacting by being concerned. How can we condemn preggos who hang out at the bar while giving our babies jack daniels to keep them quiet?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• humaniterian -- http://www.healthline.com/multumcontent/benzocaine-topical/3 even the new drugs can have serious side effects. Alcohol is at least a natrual substance which makes it better in my book. Both work to numb the pain. SOme kids hate the feeling of "numbness" that oragel creates and freak out and cry worse. Both are used in small quantities but I think people are willing to put oragel on more often b/c they think it's a baby drug so must be OK.

And preggo's drinking is different than giving your baby a few *DROPS* of whisky.

It's always amazing to see how people overract on such small issues.
    Anonymous

• Who gives a shit what you think Anonymous 5:56! Its not like she was saying she wanted to knock her grandmother out! All she said was she felt uneasy.. She is not "overreacting"! Besides, its her kid.. and if she feels alcohol doesn't need to touch the lips of her kid.. then thats her choice..
    Anonymous

• I would be pissed only in the fact that she did it without asking. I have a strict policy of no one feeding my kids or giving meds to the kids without my permission, at least while they are younger than 3.....especially my MIL (that's a whole other story)
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009