Sleeping! What do you do that works?

Hi I have a 7 month old little girl. I would love to hear from other moms and dads what has worked for them.
How do you get them to sleep?
How do you keep them asleep?
What do you do if they wake up before they are supposed to?

margaritas7

Asked by margaritas7 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i co sleep that way if she wakes up i can soothe her right in bed without fully waking her or myself up

SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my son started to struggle with bed time when he realized if he goes to sleep he cant play anymore (he is a little over 6 months by the way) the only thing that works for us is putting him to bed with his paci and his favorite cd playing, sometimes he goes to sleep without much of a fight soemtimes I let him cry for 10 minutes then I snuggle him in his room for 5 and then he cries again fro 10 but he has gotten pretty good at self soothing so he almost never cries for more than 10 minutes now. As far as waking up, I figure he is waking up fro a reason so feed him change him and snuggle him and he usually goes back to sleep pretty easy. good luck
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son (8 months tomorrow) is used to falling asleep in his crib. We have done that from day one, we'd lay him in there after bath and bottle, and he'd fall asleep. Rarely he would cry. Lately though because of teething, he's been waking up in the night after sleeping through the night since 2 months, and I've usually had to rock him to sleep. I'm hoping once teething isn't so bad we can get back to our old routine.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I nurse my baby to sleep. I don't do anything to keep him alseep but we do co-sleep so it's easier to just roll and give him boob at night. That way he doesn't actually wake completely up. If they wake up they are just awake. Not much you can do.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would nurse, now its a bottle, him in my bed at the same time every night and then snuggle until he goes to sleep. After about 10 or 15 minutes i put him in his crib or if DH is not home just co sleep with him. I like co sleeping because when he is not in bed with me I don't sleep as well.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• jGetting him to sleep: A routine always works. We started with one very young (bath, book, breast, sleep). Now the second my DS is in the tub he knows what to expect and that (along with the warm water-lol) starts the drowsy process for him. By the time he gets to the "breast" part of the equation I have to tickle his cheek to keep him awake enough to eat.

He is 5 months and sleeps 12-13 h a night.

Keeping him asleep: He doesn't really wake up during the night . We do have a white noise machine in his room so maybe this helps?

Waking up before they should: He doesn't do this too often (usually soothes himself back to sleep) but as a parent I'm sure you know a "real" scream vs. a fuss! for a "real" scream we know something is up and will go hold him (w/o too much interaction so he doesn't get stimulated) and soothe him and place him in crib and he goes back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2009