What do Braxton Hicks & Labor Contractions feel like?

I am currently 37.5 wks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy so I am new at this. Sometimes my stomach will tighten with sharp pain when I am laying in bed. Are these Braxton Hicks or regular contractions?

I know this is probably a silly question but what is the first thing I will experience before I go into labor? My husband works all the time and I am afraid I will be alone without any knowledge of what is going on..

newmom2be202

Asked by newmom2be202 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like braxton hicks to me. Regular contractions will continue and become regular. The doctor told me to change positions and if the pain stays than to start timing :) Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• there is no difference in how bh and real contractions feel...bh can be painful as well...just like pp said, real contractions will continue and form a pattern that will put you in labor.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009