How does a Socialist country with UHC, care for it's special needs populations?

Does anyone know, or have some information as to how these people are taken care of? Surely, they exist in Socialist countries, what kind of care do they receive?

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• hi, I live in Northern Europe(Finland). I guess by American standards all Scandinavian countries are socialistic?
    We have 6 years old twins(boy and girl). They bth are diagnosed with severe semantic-pragmatic dysphasia and our son has also quite bad sensory issues and borderline asperger.

Both have received speech therapy since they were less than 3 years old(once a week, of course no therapies during summer vacations). Our son's therapy just ended since he has improved to "normal. He has also gotten occupational therapy for 3 years.
    All this free. And we had freedom to choose therapists.
    Our daughter still receives therapy.
    Children also go to regular check ups to hospital - all free(all health&dental care is 100% free for children under 18).
    Since our children have disability and we have expencies due to they care, we get free things like computer programs and such to help with communication. ..Finland continues...
    tuplamama

Answer by tuplamama at 7:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Failing

And the guy who set up Canada's UHC believed: "unwed mothers ought to be institutionalized and (believed) in the segregation of the mentally disabled"

We see what kind of help the VA gives people with PTSS (or whatever they call it this week).  I can't imagine a full national plan would somehow improve on that.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It is mostly left up to the family because they are not considered high enough on the "tier" to warrant the help. Just like fat people are not given hip replacements or much heart care because it is felt they CAUSED their own problems and thus do not warrant the help from the Society.....
    research it!!!
    Anonymous

• Socialists made eugenics fashionable

National Post June 17, 2008

An exhibition of the history of those scientific ideas that gave a grimy intellectual veneer to the Nazi genocide opened recently at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. The collection centres on eugenics, the notion that humanity can be improved and perfected by selective breeding and the elimination of individuals and groups considered to be undesirable. Entitled Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race, it reveals how it was not thoughtless right-wing thugs as much as writers and scientists, the intellectual elite, who led the movement.

George Bernard Shaw
    The exhibit is important, accurate but, regrettably, long overdue. It also fails to stress just how much the socialist left initiated and supported the eugenics campaign, not only in Germany but in Britain, the U. S. and the rest of Europe. Playwright George Bernard Shaw, English social democ
    Anonymous

• Well, I seriously doubt they let their leaders go on national TV,and humiliate themselves,and offend said people. But, guess that's just for America to do.
    Anonymous

• Which country? Seems I've seen some pretty encouraging news on autism spectrum disorders out of the UK.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 6:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The eugenics leap was a really big one.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Finland continues..Programs like "writing with symbols 2000" that costs even n USA over 200 dollars.
    We also receive money from goverment to help with expencies. 400euros/month(around 520 dollars). All disabled children are entitled to this money, no matter if parents are rich or poor.
    School here starts when children turn 7. But special needs kids can start when they are 6, they go to so called preschool where they can be up to 3 years or until they are "ripe" to start real school.
    All education is also free, no matter if you choose public school, waldorf school or whatever.
    Our children go to preschool meant to dysphatic children. 6 students, 1 special ed teacher and 1 aid. 4 hours/day. When they start real school they will continue with in dysphasia program a long as needed. Class size in special ed school is 8 student + special ed teacher + at least 1 aid. This goes for all special needs...ADHD, autism, blind ....continue
    tuplamama

Answer by tuplamama at 7:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Finland continue... My wish is that people would educate themselves how things are in other countries. I read so much utter bullpoop about healthcare and education in "socialist" countries written by people who have never actually visited in these countries, just believed some propaganda sites.(not targeted to people here, I'm just ranting)
    I live in a country where I have total freedom and no, I don't pay any more taxes than avarage American. In fact I pay less since so many things here are free whereas Americans have to pay huge sums(saving to college, daycare, health insurance and so on).
    Sorry for all the possible spelling mistakes, its very late here and english is not my first language.
    tuplamama

Answer by tuplamama at 7:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We are NOT becoming a Socialist country....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009