not to offend anybody but...i was at the pool one day and i just dont get why black woman were tanning?

i mean they have perfect skin to start with, why do they need to tan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not to sound ignorant, but until like 10 years ago, I didn't realize that black people could tan! I worked with a wonderful lady, at one point in my life, who answered all my questions about that kind of stuff. (Again not to sound like a hick, but I grew up in the rural Midwest and there were no black people where I lived, I really didn't know this kind of shit!!) Well, anyway, I was enlightened on many things and now know that everyone likes a tan and to feel the warmth of the sun on their skin!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• how do you know they were tanning? maybe they were just enjoying laying out in the sun?
    Anonymous

• well if they are applying TANNING lotion then i would assume that is tanning...
    Anonymous

• Thats a good question. I love my skin color and I REALLY love the way the sun makes it this brown, golden, glowing color in the summer. I don't tan though, it just happens naturally as I spend time in the sun. I have laid out on the beach or at the pool but it wasnt to tan, just to soak in the warmth of the sun.
    I do have mixed friends who feel too pasty and will tan to be darker.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• wait isn't laying out in the sun tanning??? anyway i know what you mean....when they tan they just get darker like us! i think its kinda funny too! i just giggle to myself!

Anonymous

• their skin does get darker! and besides, laying in the sun feels good!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I've never seen that....maybe they were applying sunblock?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I do agree with you munch..I always apply sunblock and will still get a golden tan...but I apply the block to protect my skin. I can see how someone looking from afar might think it was tanning lotion.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My African neighbor was just telling me she's gotten too dark and needs to protect herself better from the sun... I mean, they do tan, just like white people and brown people and who-not. I've seen pictures- she was lighter when she lived in Egypt. Some white women I know have like, porcelain skin because they protect it so much, and some are sun-worshipers who are brown all year 'round. Just preference I guess! Plus, sometimes it feels good just to be soaking up those rays!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I'm mixed, and I personally change in skin tone. I am very uneven in certain parts. In the winter, I also lose some of the golden brown that enhances my skin. I don't always do it because my mom had skin cancer (she has a HUGE scar running up and down her face, before the new laser surgery came out) and I'm very careful about that. I also get sunburned if I'm not careful.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 6:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009