I pumped for the first time since the hospital stay almost 3 weeks ago

because every woman in my life said I needed to in order to prevent infected ducts and because my baby would only eat on one boob at a time. Well, I pumped last night after my baby fed and when he wanted to feed again I had no milk and had to supplement the free formula the hospital gave us because we didn't have enough time to thaw the frozen milk. I used to have a huge supply of milk with no problems, but ever since last night I don't seem to have as much and my baby is getting frustrated from having to suck and suck and suck in order to get the milk he used to. What can I do to increase my milk supply up again? Is this normal?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not all babies need to nurse on both sides every time. Let baby nurse on the first breast as long as they want. If they are full after one breast fine, if they are still hungry they can have the second.
    If your baby wants to breastfeed right after a pumping, go ahead. Your body is always producing milk so your breasts are never truly "empty". Some babies are patient and feed longer to get the milk they need. Just keep going back and forth from breast to breast until your baby is done.
    The only reason you every need to pump is if you need to have expressed milk to feed your baby, usually because you are away from baby. You DO NOT need to pump to avoid plugged ducts. Routine pumping on top of exclusive breastfeeding will cause an oversupply of milk making you prone to plugged ducts.
    Feed on demand and you will make plenty of milk. Even if you "feel" empty you still have milk, just keep nursing!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• usually you pump and that increases your milk supply... thats weird to me that your supply went low.....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• What do you mean by he only ate on one boob at a time? Are you on the breastfeeding mom's group? there is a post on there with over 590 posts that is about increasing your supply. There is so much information on there and it may be helpful to you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I had so much milk that he would get all he needed in a quick amount of time that'd he would just eat from one boob at each feeding and I've asked about it before and several moms said that is what they do.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sorry I'm confused I guess. Feed him from one boob then when he seems done with that, switch him to the other. Did you try that and he wouldn't take the other one?
    Anonymous

• No. He usually falls asleep or gets full. Today I've been giving him both because one doesn't satisfy him anymore.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• growth spurt?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a growth spurt. I don't pump and my 3 week old is doing the same. My baby and my last only nurse on one side during a feeding and as tiny ones they would stay on that side for 2-3 feedings(i have an oversupply and have to if I don't they get too much foremilk). I don't pump and never have. That will not cause an infection. You don't need formula, just keep nursing so baby can increase your supply. If you keep giving formula you will always be short on milk and the problem will just get worse. As of right now, you don't actually have a problem.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Don't pump if you dont need to. For me staying very well hydrated with lemon water really helped (and I mean i ONLY drank lemon water and by the gallons) oatmeal also helped but I hated oatmeal so shame on me I ate oatmeal cream pies LOL the calories didnt seem to do much to my waistline, they seemed to get burned up nursing. There are some natural herbal supplements you can take to increase production as well fenugreek is one. I would think just switching from breast to breast if he gets frustrated at one should work. But with only being 3 weeks into nursing I wouldnt recommend supplementing with a bottle if at all avoidable. It can cause nipple confusion and some lazy babies prefer the bottle over the breast, mine did
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• "because every woman in my life said I needed to in order to prevent infected ducts "

They were wrong.

Put baby to breast. Baby will restore your supply. Feed on demand. Leave him at the breast and be happy when he's frustrated...it's a great milk booster! Your body responds to that.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009