Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think?

I just recently moved into a house that I am renting for 55o a month. Before we moved in We had to paint the entire house, clean it from top to bottom, and have the carpets cleaned. We just got a letter in the mail that it is going into forclosure and the final court hearing is March 31st. Now we called the attorney cause our landlord would not return our calls and he said it would be atleast a year before they can get the house. So should I tell the landlord that I will only pay 250 a month for the house since we put all that work into it and can only live there for a year when we planned on living there for a few years. I mean he is loosing it anyway and if we move now he won't be able to rent it at all so atleast he is getting some money out of it atleast. Otherwise I will have to get a lawyer and get my 1000$ deposit back and money for the paint and cleaning plus all the time we put into it.

Answer Question

Asked by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • i'd get your money back and all the labor you put in

    Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 6:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Well shoot, I have to admit that my first thought is....I'd stop paying the rent. On the 31st he isn't going to be the owner or landlord anymore. I would stay there and wait for the bank to tell you to move out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure wouldn't give the "owner" anymore money for a house that's no longer his. I bet that you won't be able to get any money from him, I mean you were paying him rent and he wasn't making the mortgage payments.....

    Answer by slw123 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • well we have only given him $1000 so far just a 500 deposit and 500 for 1st months rent and I refuse to give him anything till we find out everything that is going on. We just know bits and peices. I am going to have to get a lawyer I guess and get my money back because we are tight on money and then we put all the extra money into it cleaning and painting and everything. I am fixing to have a baby on the 31st too so this is a lot of stress for me!

    Answer by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • I had a friend in this situation and she showed documents proving that she did all of this work and copies of checks proving that she had made the payments on time every month, and she was able to take the house in the forclosure. I don't know how she did it, but the house is hers now. I'd consult a few attorney's don't just take the first answer someone gives you.
    If your not able to do that, then as long as you have documents proving your case, you can sue him and get all of your money back. Good Luck!!

    Answer by southernstyle88 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • I suggest you contact an attorney before doing anything either way. You don't want to end up in a mess because you made the wrong choice!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.