What do you think? Bad parenting, or okay?

A woman lives in a part of the world where smoking marajuana is legal.

Every night when her kids have been put to sleep and she has finished cleaning up after the days mess - she gos outside and has 1 joint to relax.

Is that bad parenting?

Is it the same as a mom who relaxes with a glass of wine, or worse?

Would you do this if it were legal where you live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no i wouldn't do it if was legal, nor do i drink.
    But who am to judge? what works for me, works for ME. might not for everyone else.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• no if it's legal how's it bad? atleast she does it outside AFTER THE KIDS GO TO BED AND NOT INSIDE IN FRONT OF THEM, I PERSONAL DON'T DO IT, OR LIKE THE SMELL BUT TO EACH THERE OWN AND CLEARLY ISN'T BREAKING THE LAW IF IT'S LEGAL WHERE SHE IS.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do this even if it were legal, but I don't think that is bad parenting. She's not breaking the law and the kids are asleep. I might be against it if she were doing this in front of her children.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I'm of the opinion that marijuana is about the same alcohol, some people can use it and not get hooked.  However some do get addicted.  It is far less harmful than tobacco.  So bad parenting, no more than having a glass of wine.  I don't know if I would do it myself.  Probably just because of societies conditioning.  I'm so used to "don't do drugs"

Anonymous

• If it's not affecting her parenting I don't see how it can be considered bad parenting.
    Anonymous

• I do not think bad parenting at all...just need to be prepared in case of an emergency! But, if this was legal, it would probably be me! I see alcohol as more of a problem with kids around...reaction time not as good, passing out, blacking out, not being able to safely drive, on and on. Mary Jane has not been proven to impair driving, it makes you so paraniod you are way more aware of what is going on! You don't black out and are pretty much able to function...just in a happy-go-lucky kind of way!
    (I am going anon cuz I don't want any stalkers telling me how bad smoking pot is...I personally have not done it in about a year, but would never prosecute a functional smoker!)
    Anonymous

• I personally wouldn't, but I wouldn't have a glass of wine every day either. Just not my thing. I knew a woman who would have a joint if she couldn't get to sleep. We were working night shifts together and she had a hard time on the weekends sleeping at night time.
    I don't think it's bad paernting unless you are doing it infront of the kids. Kind of like me when my kids go to bed and I'll eat a snack that I won't eat when they are awake and around because I don't want them to develope bad eating habits! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't smoke it if it were legal, but I don't think it would be terrible parenting. It isn't like the stories you hear here about parents smoking joints in front of infants or blowing it in their children's faces or even sharing with their young ones. She is doing it in her privacy and keeping it separate from her babies.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't do it if it were legal because it would be the same to me a alcohol probably. I quit drinking because I saw I was developing the same dependency on it that my parents have. I don't want my kids growing up with an alcoholic mother. I would probably have the same problem with weed. But that doesn't mean that other people couldn't be fine doing it. It's really not bad parenting unless the kids wake up and mom's stoned out of her mind. But if she were smoking just one joint I doubt that would happen.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• no I don't think its bad parenting. Her kids is in bed and not around. I don't smoke weed. But It a mom does it I would rather her kids be sleep than up and running around. I know ppl that smokes weed while their children are around.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 7:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009