• In the Spotlight:

My four year old is so small!

He is in the 3rd percentile in weight and height. He is very picky about food. He will sometimes go days without eating because I refuse to feed him the junk food he is begging for. Is there anything more I can do for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• PEDIASURE
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestion. I have been giving him pediasure for about 2 years now on a regular basis. I also buy the other things they make like the cereal fruit bar. He will sometimes eat those. He also will eat protein bars on occasion.
    Anonymous

• As long as he's growing and thriving and show no signs of development delays, he should be okay! Most kids are picky eaters. Trying looking at what he eats over a period of a week rather than focusing on one day. If you're really concerned then maybe you should take him to a nutritionist.
    SpeedySvedey

Answer by SpeedySvedey at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think pediasure is a problem in all honesty. I think it fills the childs tummy up with heavy filling liquids with vitamins and minerals in excess and makes the child not hungry..In my honest opinion stop the pediasure and start giving him a daily multi-vitamin and his hunger will start to pick up...My daughter likes to eat pastas with tomato sauce,rice, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs,chicken nuggets, etc, as a side put some green beans,corn,milk or juice and a roll, its a basically balanced meal. But as the other poster said too, as long as he is thriving he is doing fine...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• even is he doesnt eat the whole meal and just eats a little bit of this and that...he still has something in his stomach...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have a small child. She was 17 1/2 inches at birth and was 5 pounds 13 ounces. She's still small at 3. She falls into the 5th percentile. But she's healthy, energetic and growing on her own curve and the three doctors I have taken her to says she's perfectly healthy. But she also isn't much of an eater. And when she does it it's usually fruits and veggies (the low calorie stuff). Find something he likes and eats and well serve it alot. Mine is mac and chesse. Which she gets with her fruits and veggies. If the doctors aren't worried coinsider you have a mini toddler and stop stressing. It's hard trust me. I do give my child carnation instant breakfast as a late day snack but she doesn't get it during the day cause I want her to eat. If you want to talk more just send me a message.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• have you taken him to the pediatrician? i only ask because the picky eater is fairly normal, but it sounds like he does want to eat, just junky food. Could there be a blood sugar issue?
    That said, My son ate PB&J every day for 18 months (really, every day). it is ALL he would eat. I was so worried and we had the biggest fights about it. My mom told me to let it go and give it to him. I did, and he out grew it. Also, he is in the 5th percentile. The theory that they eat if they are hungry is right.
    Anonymous