How well could your 17-18 month old talk?

I know you can't compare each toddler and expect them to be the same. but id like to know the general amount of talking yours had at this age?

My 17.5 month old has a long list of words (not pronounced right) to point at things and say the name - maybe about 50.

And can say things like "no mommy" -"hi mommy" - "mornin' daddy" -"I wan' botty (broccoli)" - "oh no" - and a few small things like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 14 months and can say up to thirty words and make three to four word sentences. I work a lot with him on his word association and practice with him a lot too though. I do think it helps.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My 22 month old is still on one word sentences. SHe's got a large vocabulary but hasn't progressed much beyond that. Things like "bye bye doggie" she's got but it's just "cup" or "up" not "I want"
    Anonymous

• lol, just from the first two answers i can see that ANYTHING at this stage is normal. Be it one word or 200!
    Anonymous

• I was concerned about my sons speech when we took him for his 18 month check up so DH and I made a list of all the words he could say. It was about 40-50. When we went to the doctor they only wanted to know if he could say 6 words. lol..... I was relieved but I know a lot of 18 mo babies say way more and talk a lot better than my son. The range of normal seems infinite!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my boys were trying to say sentences... now at 20 months saying sentences well trying too!!! But has a large vocabulary.. there fav. thing to say is this/that while pointing to what it is.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my son has always been pretty good with talking. hes almost three and can pretty much have a conversation with you. its adorable i must say. but ummm at around 18 months, he was saying really small sentences about things he wanted or didnt want, and he pretty much named anything and everything he pointed to, if he didnt know hed say "wass-at" (what's that) =] sounds like your toddler is doing just great!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my son is 27 months and he still doesnt say anything other than "dat" (that) and wow and ma and da. So thats 4 words. But he understands anything and everything you tell him. He is very smart, just not much of a talker.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my little girl was able to communicate her feelings and wants, but you had to know her language as I refer to it. you could get the gist of most words but only about 15 or so came though clearly. now she is 27 months and is running her mouth is mostly complete sentences. lol.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my daughter is 17 months and a weeks. She can say 40+ words and a few sentences. She says "whats that", "who's that", "who's that (mawmaw, pawpaw, daddy)? "thank you", "pretty please mommy", "daddy go bye-bye", "made this special you", " I love you" and a few more. Now "this" is said "dis" and "special" is said "ecial", but others can understand so I count it loud and proud. I just love how they learn so much in such a short time. It is truly amazing.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• God... my 18 months daughter only says 4 words =S... Mom, dad, more, puppy...and thats it...
    PilyFernandez

Answer by PilyFernandez at 3:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009