Digestive problems with breastfed baby???

My daughter was born March 2nd, and has been exclusively breastfed since birth. She has gained weight well, has no other growth problems, but still gets really fussy and gassy at times. She eats really well, and is normally a really good baby (she even sleeps five hours at night!), but for the past week or so, she will all of a sudden start wailing like she's in pain and it only stops when she passes gas or has a BM. The past few days it seems like she's really uncomfortable before every BM! Any ideas?? (ps...I do burp her after she eats, and even Mylicon doesn't seem to help) What could be making her so gassy?

Tylersm0m

Asked by Tylersm0m at 7:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• An oversupply of milk can cause her to get too much foremilk and make her gassy and fussy. Check out http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

It is often around 3 weeks old that the "symptoms" of oversupply start to show up.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I meant to include the following info in my last post:
    Oversupply can make baby fussy and gassy because baby gets too much sugar and not enough fat. Milk that is stored in the breasts (often called "foremilk") becomes thin, watery and high in milk sugar (lactose), while the milk that is freshly made (hindmilk) is higher in fat. The trouble with oversupply is that there is so much stored milk in the breast that the baby can't drink it all. He fills up on the thin, high-sugar milk and never gets to the satisfying, freshly made, higher fat milk.

The high-sugar milk quickly empties from baby's stomach, and soon after eating he acts like he's "starving" again. Also, the excess amounts of lactose irritate many babies' digestive systems, giving them gas and making them very fussy.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My DD would do the same thing because my milk let down so hard and fast and I think it would just bloat her.....Or maybe its' something you're eating??brocolli, beans, onions, tomato sauce?too much of those can upset a babys tummy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I was also going to say, I was told to lay back while feeding so that the milk wouldn't "pour" into her making her so gassy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would recommend doing a food and symptom diary. Log everything you eat and drink and the times you ate and drank it the times you feed your daughter and the times your daughter struggles. You might notice a corralation between certain foods and her tummy problems. I havent heard of what the pp mentioned but I wasnt able to nurse very long. Good luck!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son had this problem everytime I had dairy. I started a dairy elimination diet and he started to improve. I couldn't eat it until he was year and he outgrew it. He's 2 now and I can eat dairy and nurse him without an issue. My younger nursling has the same problem. He screams everytime I have something with cow milk. Another year without ice cream.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My first was gassy too and our second had a sensitivity to dairy as well. I cut dairy until she was six months and it helped. Another sign she had was blood when she had a GM
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• stop eating any and all dairy.. milk, cheese, yogurt, etc, and see if that helps, that is what we did with our son.. he had reflux as well, so it helped all around,
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• This happened to me too. I was told it was b/c a baby's digestive system just isn't mature enough at that age to process/handle gas. From about 2-3 months old we were awakened in the early am by my son and his gas pains. We would rub his belly and pump his legs (sometimes for an hour) until the gas worked it's way out. Around 3-3.5 months his body was able to handle it on its own and he would let out toot after toot. This happened for 2-3 weeks and now there is no gas at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2009