What would you do?

So my three year old has been a monster all day, and I've been fighting with about cleaning his toys. He flat out refused to do it. He went to his room, he went to the corner, he got a spanking, he got no snack or drinks all afternoon.

As I was taking the trash out, a thought occurred to me, really get him where it would hurt... so i brought the trashcan out to the front room and told him to throw them away or put them away. He looked at me, then his toys, then the trashcan and picked up an armful and walked over to the trashcan.

All his toys are put away now, so the question is... do i throw them away for good, or just keep them for a while and give them back, and if so, how long do i wait to give them back?

Crystal1124

Asked by Crystal1124 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do that too. I just keep them for a while and I will slowly give them back if he is good
    Jennifer_236

Answer by Jennifer_236 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• LOL I do the same thing! Instead I bag them up and actually put them out with the trash....I get them back after he's in bed though....He just don't get them for a while. Maybe even weeks, depending on his behavior....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 7:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would hang on to them until he asks for them back. When he does, see if he can tell you why they were taken away in the first place.
    My bil did that to my niece's toys and she flat out didn't care! I couldn't believe it. She would straight out tell you why she didn't have any toys and she didn't care! He has done it twice since then too. (I just hope you don't have one of those hard headed kids like she is! lol) Good Luck in whatever you do :)
    Anonymous

• my son does that. if hes using a toy the wrong way like standing on his trucks or cars or something i tell him to throw them out, if he doesnt listen about 4 times. and he will just get up just throw it in the garbage. he wont ask for it back, and if i ask him where that specific toy is, he'll say "oh it's in the garbage. one day i was standing on it and not listening so i threw it out." and ill say do you want it back? and he'll say "no mommy, its better this way. everything will be just fine." lmao. i dont know where he learned it but its hilarious. i just take the toy out of the garbage, clean it and put it in the WAY bottom of his toy box and wait for him to find it. just keep doing it. or let him pick out a new toy for something small that he did that was good, and then as soon as he does something bad, throw it out yourself, and just ask him why it was okay to throw out the other ones but not the new one.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My older girls (9 and 4 at the time) share a room and when they wouldn't clean it, I wiped it out. I mean the only thing in there were the beds and dressers. They still have not gotten everything back because they can't keep what little they have gotten back picked up. Apparently they had too many toys so at the end of this month all will go to a foster/parent association.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We say we are throwing them out and actually have them put the toys in the trash. If it is something I know they really like or has special meaning then I take it out later and put it in the attic for a while. if not then I take it out and give it to charity. We also go through all the toys and the kids decided what to keep and what to give to charity before Christmas and their birthdays.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009