How Old do you have to be to get an IUD?

I'm 18 and I asked for it but my dr. wouldn't let me get it. why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• I don't know if there's an age that you have to be, but you need to have had a child already. That's all I know.
    Anonymous

• I don't know but that's a good question. I've never thought of that before. I would assume 18 though so that's weird.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I believe you have to be in a stable relationship although I dont think you have to be married, maybe thats it?
    Anonymous

• i'm pretty sure with mirena you have to have had a child. i don't agree with that, but i think that's how it has to be.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I was 19, not married, and I didnt have a kid yet when I got mine..but I was in a stable relationship with my ex. I guess all Drs are different?? But I hate the IUD (I had the copper one) Im thinking about trying the Mirena...Im getting tired of popping BC pills everyday..LOL!
    BryleighsMama07

Answer by BryleighsMama07 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Almost always you have to have had a child in order to get the IUD. Some uterine conditions make an IUD unsafe or ineffective. Also, your doctor may have the legal right to refuse you an IUD if it violates his sense of morality. One way IUDs work is by causing a fertilized egg to not implant. Many people believe this is equivalent to an abortion.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My 15 year old friend has an IUD, she's had a baby. So I don't think there is an age limit on it
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 8:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I believe that you have had to have a baby, in a stable relationship. Ask your doctor why he doesn't want you to get one, he could have a very good reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• they prefer you to be in a monogamous relationship cause it doesnt protect agains std's. there isn't an age limit.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have a 19 mo old daughter now and I was just wondering because I hate taking bc pills everyday and I forget most of the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009