tongue tie

Hello..my baby is 7 months old and he has his tongue tie....his twin sister nop and i notice that she makes more cooing than him, could it be for his tongue tie? i know that could be resolve with a clip, is that a difficult or danger procedure? is the clip done at the pediatrician office or in same specialist office? When i asked his pedi, he said we have to wait but i prefer to do early than later when maybe he will need speech therapy? any advice? coul i ask for the clip to the pedi again? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My bil is tongue tied to this day! If he got the surgery now he'd have to learn how to talk all over again. I would talk to the pediatrition about it. My bil has no problems or anything like that because of it. So~
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 8:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my ds had his done at 4-- it was done in the office of a specialist-- yes-- he had to re-learn how to say some of his sounds-- he had come up with ways to pronounce words that speech teachers had never heard before-- there wasnt a problem with his ability to suck, so they left it alone-- before i could get him into see someone about it, i had to wait to see if it affected his speech-- the first person to eval him said there was no need-- that was bull and just meant i needed someone else to look/talk to him-- i finally got the recommendation i needed-- i personally think that you should wait til your son starts talking-- he may not even need it done-- if he does, yes it hurts, but it only lasts for the rest of the day-- my grandfather was tongue tied all his life and it didnt really effect him-- good luck
    Anonymous

• my son is almost three and talks AMAZINGLY for a three year old, let alone a few months from three. he is tounge tied just like me all the way to the tip of his tounge. ive NEVER had speach problems or anything. some babies coo more than others and some dont coo at all. all babies are different. you might not want to do anything about it at all. its up to you, but in my situation, my son, and myself are completely fine and tounge tied to the fullest!!!! good luck. hope this helped.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My dd was tounge tied which made nursing a little more difficult. When she was about 18months she had it clipped. It was a very simple procedure and she is perfectly fine today.
    Mamafive

Answer by Mamafive at 8:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would try to hold off on the procedure to see if he might just be a late bloomer for speech. Have him evaluated by a speech pathologist to see if they can help him conservatively first.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• we thought our son was tongue tied, and he was ruled out as not.. but its not a dangerous procedure, but some pedi's dont want to do it, and some do.. maybe get a second opinion, or ask at your babies 9 month visit..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My DS is tongue tied. I will be getting it clipped whether his doctor thinks it is necessary or not..my DH was tongue tied and didn't get his done until he was 17..it has affected his speech. I would rather prevent the problem than try to solve it later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I have two boys Trent 4 and Zander 2 month Trents tounge tie was clipped at 8 months and Zanders at 3 weeks. Zanders was done right in the ears nose and throat drs office. It was done so quick and easy. He took the bottle right after and was able to feed so much easier. Trent's was done at children's hospital and had to be put to sleep. It was horrible he screamed for a week and never took a bottle again he went to a sippy cup. Trent had to have speech therapy starting a moth before he turned 2 until he was 3. He talks great now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 28, 2009