Can I refuse?

I live in a small town, there are only 4 ob/gyns in town. I have had 2 c-sections. I want to try to deliver naturally and my Dr. is opposed. Both boys I went into labor naturally, my second one I had a very good labor, but he was face up and was unable to come out which resulted in that c-section. I am not opposed to having a c-section if I really have to, but would really like to try it vaginally. I live to far from the hospital to stay at home until the last minute (40 minutes away) Can I refuse to consent to a c-section unless I feel its absolutely necessary? Or am I forced to do it his way?

akmom2be

Asked by akmom2be at 7:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you have had 2 or more c sections, it is a really bad risk for you to deliver VBAC, any doc will tell you the same thing. I'm 2 months pregnant with my second, and i will schedule a c section, its not worth the risk.
    Candice369

Answer by Candice369 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I've had two c-sections and most OB's would not let you do VBAC, I was not allowed either and probably for my own safety...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It depends on how long it's been between c/s, how you were cut, and your reasons for having them. Having a baby, face up, does not necessitate a c/s at all. It may prolong labor, and cause back labor, but under the right birthing conditions, and a patient ob, you can easily birth a sunny side up baby.. not knowing your whole story, your c/s could have very well been unnecessary.

As far as risk goes, having two c/s does not automatically disqualify you from a VBAC. No, not every doc will do it, but there are many who care more about the patient then insurance who genuinely do understand that a repeat c/s can be more dangerous then a VBAC.

A women on here, Pauline, had a home birth after 2 cesareans, and just recently had her second home birth. So a natural birth after 1, even 2 cesareans is very possible.

If you go into the hospital in active labor they can not wheel you to the OR against your will.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You can have a VBAC, even with a doc who opposes it, but you have to really want it. Don't get induced, have minimal interventions, stay at home or in a hotel near the hospital, as long as possible, etc. You need to examine the risks and what you want etc.

Also, you can strengthen your uterine and pelvic muscles by drinking red raspberry leaf tea, 2 cups a day in second tri and 3 a day in third trimester. :)

You are not forced into anything.. but you do need to find out your risks and examine your last two births :)

good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009