Constantly seriously afraid of dying....

Does anyone know why this is. I have always been terrified of dying or losing someone I love. I'm scared for my kids to go on waterslides and boats(but I let them), I'm scared in my car, and I freak out when I hear about sudden death, plane crashes those kind of things. It's constant, I always have these horrible nightmares of people I love being kidnapped or missing. I want to live life without the constant fear I'm gonna die or my kids are going to, but I can't seem to shake this! Any suggestions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have no suggestions, but you're not alone. I feel the exact same way you do!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Feelings of dread that come for no real reason are symptoms of depression and some panic disorders. Talk with a psychologist for help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i don't know where you are with god but you should pray and read the bible maybe even go to church! God can do so much for you and all you have to do is ask!

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I went through this problem not too long ago. And I finally have been able to stop worrying. Honestly! People keep saying pray to got.. but that was JUST my problem!!! don't get me wrong. I believe and love God!! but i was BEGGING him.. pleading to him.. every night "please, keep my family save" and then.. I found out that all this time during prayers.. my daughter was being molested by her step grandfather......It's a terrible thing, but the truth is.. things are going to happen (or NOT happen!) whether you worry about them all day long or not... So what I did to get past it.. Every time a thought goes through your head.. a worry about something bad happening. change your thoughts, think of happy things.. good things, things that make you smile. or just.. clear your head.. do a simple thank you prayer to god for your family being safe.. clear your thoughts and go to sleep.. just force yourself at first to change your thoughts
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know its very hard, because it was for me. But you just gotta do it, and it will become a habbit.. just like your worrying had become a habbit.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I have it. You should ask your doctor about it. Here's a very informative website aboug GAD. It's not horrible, it can be treated through therapy and if needed medication (trust me the meds are not as bad as you would think...they just let you relax a little and not worry so much). I was medicated for about a year until I felt I could control my anxiety on my own. Through therapy you should learn some coping techniques. And if you are a Christian, prayer helps too (if not, I'm not pushing it on you lol!). Good luck, PM me if you want to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• oops heres the website:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad.shtml
    AprilDJC

• I agree with the possible anxiety disorder. I would seek help for it because it will interfere in parenting and married life.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• ....Medicine doesn't solve everything.. People shouldn't always just suggest medicine every time someone has a problem. Sometimes Its just best to try and fix things yourself before you dope yourself up.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have experienced this twice to the point that I was needing to seek help. Once right before a surgery..as you can tell I lived. The second was after the birth of my 4th child. I was 39 when I had him. I was having thoughts about war coming to our country and had visions of having to put my kids to sleep with cough syrup so they did not have to suffer. I also have issues with bodies of water I cannot see the bottom of. A real damper since we have a boat. I would try talking to a professional because this becomes an issue that gets in the way of living because you are so afraid. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009