What chores do you ask your kids to do and how old are they?

Mine are all about to celebrate their birthdays and I know they're getting off easy. They are almost 3, 5, and 6. I ask them to do little things around the house, but I feel like they could be helping out more. I think back to how things were done years ago and my kids have it easy!

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 7 y/o feeds the dog everyday, brings his laundry to the laundry room and separates them, works outside in the yard (raking or putting rubbish out in the street for city to pick up) takes out his trash and cleans his room every night.

Anonymous

• My son is two. I ask him to help pick up toys and books. I also ask him to put his milk back in the fridge after meals. He has started picking up his empty plate and bringing it to me when he is finished at the table, too...I don't know why. Maybe because he sees hubby and me clear away our plate when we are done?

Oh, and turn on or off lights. This is his favorite chore.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my boys will be 2 in july. When i am cleaning their room or the house i hand them trash they thow it away or when i give them a bath they put there toys in the bucket before getting out.. Mama's lil helpers
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• we are trying to teach our 2 year old to help out. he gives us the silverware from the dishwasher, helps put clothes in the washer/dryer, and helps pick up toys.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yeah forgot that one timelessglass... awww the lights... never go with out being swiched off and on 100 times a day.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son is two and he's our little go-fer. anything we want that he can reach we have him go get, he loves it. He also cleans up his toys, puts his dirty clothes in the washer, clears away his palte after meals. and a few other odd and end things.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have two girls, 4 and 2 1/2. They help with laundry, dishes and anything I ask of them. Oh and they pick up their room. I feel teaching them early is better than attempting to teach them at 15.
    asTraySoJouRner

Answer by asTraySoJouRner at 8:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My daughters are 3 and they make their beds, clean up their toys, do the dusting, fold towels and washclothes from the dryer and empty ther garbages. They also follow me around as I clean and do whatever else I tell them to.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My kids are 4 and 3. They clean up their rooms, help clean off the table( their plates are plastic lol), and help bring laundry to the laundry room. And they really like putting clothes away in their drawers, but it drives me nuts cause they alway unfold stuff. lol But I like that they help so I get over it.
    bbysqd

Answer by bbysqd at 9:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• mine get off really easy. lol.

they are 8 and barely 5 (birthday was last week). they are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. I have them help me by bringing down their laundry when I ask them to - unless they are at their moms (my SKs). they both like to help with the dishes. they also take their own plates to the sink most of the time. they are to put their toys away that they get out and put their shoes in the shoe bin. sometimes, my SD (8) likes to help me with laundry. i haven't really asked them to put their clothes away yet, but i have been thinking about it. i have a hard enough time keeping a cleaning routine for myself, let alone enforcing one with them. my SD does make her own bed when she cleans her room, but SS (5) doesn't really know how really. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009