What would you do in this situation?

My husb and I had a talk with our 7 year old tonight about private parts and how no one is allowed to touch him nor he..well he told us one of the kids in his class touched him, he told his teacher and she said keep your hands to yourself and that was that, my son said this happened like a few months ago and just never told us, but he doesn't like that kid. WTH, shouldn't the school have sent a letter home (his teacher at least??!) What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some teachers look at it as kids will be kids. To me kids will be kids when they are 4 or 5 not 7 when they should know that the privates are off limits. Talk to his teacher and find out why she handled it that way. If you don't like her answer go to the principal and if you don't like that answer go higher. There is no way in hell I would sit by and let it go. I through a fit when a little girl made fun of my dd's shoes last year and made the teacher explain to the class why that is not right.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think you should call your sons teacher and talk to her about this.
    Anonymous

• sometimes teachers don't know the extent of the touching, she has a lot of little people and a lot to deal with. I bet if she saw it she would have stoped it and other things will happen. At that age kids will say the darnest things so maybe she took it as tattle telling which at that age the teacher over looks a lot.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It depends on how the child touched your son. Was the child just trying to irritate your son by touching his arm over and over again or was it a touch in a private place? If he claims it was a private area, go directly to the teacher and ask her yourself. She should have notified you if it was inappropriate.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i would set up an appointment between his teacher, the principal, and the school counsler. make them aware of the situation and how you feel about the way it was handled. also make sure they are aware of how you want it to be handled next time.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Where did the kid touch him and was it an accident or two boys ruff housing? Did your son tell you that the other kid grabbed him in his privates? Did your son feel violated? Did teacher realize if your son felt violated? If you feel its necessary I would write the teacher with your concerns. Your son understand now that if he feels violated to talk with you?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The teacher should have contacted you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Hmm...well, this could be a complicated situation...IMO, more details are needed

This is why...boys rough house a lot and they constantly try and punch each other's "junk" and he is about that age where that is considered a "funny" thing to do. Also, hes not too young to get into that whole "flashing" each other "game" (where the boys flash each other their privates and then punch the other boy for 'looking' and calls them gay or whatever). Or boys still slap each other on the butt too. Heck, in my school guys would "hump" each other against the lockers to try and be funny...

Maybe it was a big deal, but then again maybe it wasn't....I'd need the context in which the touch happened in order to make a decision. Especially before I'd make a big deal over the teacher not reporting it or calling the kids parents, etc.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i agree with everyone here. i would talk to the teacher to get more details about what happened. Just explain that you had your talk with him and what he told you. He may not have felt really violated if he didnt think of it as a private part at that time. Also, it could have been an accident and you won't know until you talk to his teacher. if it was in apporpriate then, yes, you should have been contacted. Explain to your son's teacher that you would like to be informed if anything ever happens along these lines again and that you take this very seriously.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• OP here, my son said the kid touched him in the privates when my son was trying to get his own lunchbox, the way my son told us the kid consciously did it.  They watch videos at that school about it and I trust their parents also tell them that touching isn't acceptable, so this kid should know, I sent a letter telling her my husb and I will come in for a conference with her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009