How do I know when my daughter is ready for food?

Let me start by saying I know she doesnt NEED food til she is one. Please no bashing.

My daughter is 8 1/2 months old and has been EBF. I am wanting to start babyfood at 9 months so that she understand how to eat food by the time she turns 1. Like maybe one jar of food every other day or something like that. I have tried giving her juice a couple of times out of a cup and she doesnt want to have anything to do with it. I have tried to give her a few things and she doesnt want to do it. I tried a spoon I had been eating yogurt off of and she wouldnt let that happen. Then yesterday I tried mashed potatoes and she didnt want them either. So i tried with my finger and she still wouldnt do it. So what do you guys think?

I guess I should add that she is over 20 lbs and very healthy so she is doing great just nursing!

DarciMykell

Asked by DarciMykell at 8:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop mashing the food.

Try giving her things that you guys are eating, stuff she cannot choke on. Cheerios, peas, banana's cut into small pieces, ect.

I NEVER did baby food, too much money and so not worth it.

Booby all the way!! :) Rock on!!
    asTraySoJouRner

Answer by asTraySoJouRner at 8:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• ask your dr when she can have table food. my dr had us start feeding table food before 1 year if i remember correctly
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Our ped told us at 8-9 months we could start introducing table foods. this was after he told us to start baby foods at 4 months (cereals). Our son has never looked back ( and we don't get to eat in peace anymore.....lol). He has it figured out and he always wants some of what we are eating (even if he just had his food).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• One of the new concerns is that if a baby is started on foods too late they can develop a gage reflex. I would just give her time and try something a couple times a day. Remember to try a single food at a time over a couple days to check for allergies, especially if there is a family history of allergies. Its all new to her. They do recommend trying veggies first as some babies will develop of preference to sweets when introduced to fruits first and then have a hard time wanting veggies.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• dont do mashed potatoes, there is no nutritional value to them.. squash, or green beans, beets, my son is 8.5 months old, and eats everything... we started him on cereal at 3 months, and gradually moved up to real foods.. i slice and quarter a few banana bites in the morning and he eats them, and some baby oatmeal, for lunch he got today, steamed carrots and peas, and a few blueberries.. he feeds himself, granted, when its slightly mashed, he makes a HUGE mess LOL but for finger foods, he does great.. but start with stage two babies foods, or make your own like we do, and let her sample, but make sure you try a new food and give a three to four day gap to make sure she doesnt have allergies..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• La Leche League has some good info on this at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

"Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more."

Just start putting some bite sized soft pieces of food in front of her and see what she does!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009