Do you know someone who feeds their kids poorly and the parents eat real well?

My SIL asked if my kid ate butter out of the tub. She insisted to give him a spoon and let him go to town! My husband said "no way, I give my kid meals". She gives her kids butter or ketchup sandwiches. ewww. They're not poor. Her husband loves to eat steaks and roasts. They will have spaghetti and the kids get hotdogs. The kids are NOT picky eaters either. It is so selfish. Out of 4 girls her two oldest are overweight. I dont think she is teaching them good eating habits. They do eat a lot but they dont eat well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's sad. In our house, it's the parents who eat poorly. We buy our daughters all this good organic stuff and, to save money (and because of our bad habits), we eat the junk. The girls get fresh avocado, we don't. The girls get all the strawberries when we cave in and buy them. The girls get organic milk. We get the poisoned stuff. It is sad people take the "easy" way out or give kids the food that they think kids are supposed to like (McD's, nothing but hotdogs, etc). Kids will eat anything if you start them young!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well my friend eats mc d's everyday.. her daughter does too!!! the thing is a fry here and a fry there. She is 2 and some odd weeks old and still has 3 bottles a day!!! It makes me sick cuz everytime i am over i eat something she winnes for some. I hand it to her and she said no she can't eat that she will choke. I said the boys eat it all the time which they are 5 months younger. She said well she is not use to it... NO DUH. she isn't use to it cuz you don't feed her... sorry vented little.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My aunt always ate really well and fed her kids peanut butter or soup. They never ate anything else. She would use her food stamps to buy whatever she wanted and then the kids got crap.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When my dad was a kid, his dad would eat steaks while my dad and his brothers/sisters only got PB&J. even when my dad was a teenage boy- needed more food, he only got PB&J while his dad had steaks.

My brother had to eat 2 spoons of butter daily for a while. He had problems with bowel movements and ws bleeding.
    asside froom medical reasons, kids don't need to be eating a tub of butter,
    (I actuallly thought you meant eating it out of the BATHTUB at first, LOL)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When i was married to my first husband he made friends with someone at work. He had a wife, and two little girls, and we had two little girls too. So we started to hang out with them a lot. But after being around for a while I just felt so sorry for the kids. The parents would only hand their kids food from their plate, and if they came back asking for more she would call them a fatass!!! They were seriously underweight! we out to eat once at a buffet and they only put one noodle and breadstick on the oldest girls plate! I couldn't believe it..there the food was FREE for her and they didn't even want to give her food then!! I ended up bathing their baby every time i was there because she was also so filthy and smelly. she let her baby sleep ALL day and lay in her crib at night when they were in bed.. I couldn't stand it, I want so bad to watch their baby but my husband wouldn't let me cuz he said my hands were full.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• OMG these are terrible. I didnt think anyone would answer this. I thought i would just get bashed for not stepping in and helping my husbands nieces. thats why i went anonymous. Really makes ya wonder. my oh my
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My DD came home from school once and told me she always gave her snack to a boy who said he was hungry and asked if she could start taking two snacks in. He told her that if he did not get his homework done before bedtime he did not get dinner. This is Catholic school they were in. I reported it to her teacher and they talked to the parents. I told her if he said they were still doing it to tell me and I would take it up with CPS. Some people!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I use to have a friend like that. Use to is the big thing. She would feed her kids boxed mac and cheese and hotdogs almost every night. Now mind you I feed it to the kids once in a great while but not every meal, cause she claimed thats all they'd eat. Not true when I babysat them they ate alot of stuff. And she would try to weasel money out of me cause they never had enough food. Yet I'd see them out at the club eating frequently. The owrse thing is the vought all their kids clothes at thrift shops and hand me downs (also nothing wrong if they got new stuff too) cause they couldn't afford clothes for their 3 kids yet they drove a new van and were always dressed nice. Sorry. My kids come first.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Just on a lighter note! I didn't like my lunches that my mom packed for me when I was in first grade. So I would trash my lunch, and get the free lunch for kids who forgot their lunch or didn't have $$ for it. Well I guess mom got a call that she needed to start feeding me lunch or they would have to do something!!lol, but seriously, ketchup on bread, that is seriously disgusting. If I won't eat it my kids won't either thats my rule!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• That's sad. My kids eat great, some night's I take the easy route and feed them something from the freezer but I've been making my own soups and stews and such so I can pull a "fresh" frozen meal out when I don't feel like cooking.
    We went to a friends cottage one summer before we had kids and they had 2 boys about 10 yrs old. We we're eating steak and salad and other such things. Elaborate breakfasts and the boys would have hot dogs and cereal. I felt bad for them especially when they asked if they were having steaks. They were told no. We had all brought our own and if I had known that the boys would be having hotdogs again I would have bought steaks for them. My kids eat steak. My DD was a steak and potato girl from the age of 16 months. We all enjoy my steak and grilled veg salad. Homemade turkey burgers, the list goes on...........
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009