I have a 3 yr. old that I want to potty train and I've tried everything to make it fun, but he seems to be afraid of the potty. What can I do. My other child who is 5...was not nearly this tough to potty train when he was that age. HELP. I'm up for suggestions.

crystal27b

Asked by crystal27b at 9:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried making him sit there till he goes? I've heard that works for other kids who are scared. Do whatever it takes to make them sit there till they go. They can't hold it forever. For my friends it only took once, then they weren't scared anymore.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You can try using a potty that is portable and place it maybe were he/she likes to do a special activity or while watching a favorite show then maybe he/she won't be so scared...my son was scared as well and I told him that once he did "poopie or pee-pee" then he would get a special toy...it took a couple tries but it worked...once he did his first pee-pee, we both went out to the toy store and picked out a train he had been wanting (I only did the big toy once for his first time since we were both so excited...now his reward is stickers which he loves...I let him pick out the ones he likes at the store and he already know's what they will be used for...I let him take 1 for pee-pee and 2 for poppie...it worked well with him!...Best of Luck!
    JoJo888

Answer by JoJo888 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I always did read a book in there while they were trying to go. We also tried to make it fun like dropping a Cheerio in the toilet and they try to pee into the Cheerio. I know how u feel though my five year olds used to be afraid to hear the potty flush especially the ones at Walmart because they were so loud.
    acmjmom28

Answer by acmjmom28 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I feel your pain..Mine is almost 4 and refuses to potty train.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• wow, i cant imagin what you ladies are going through. Potty training was actually a breeze for me. But i have a girl, i heard they're a lil easier. Bt ill share anyway.
    1 tip i got from a male friend f mine who has boys would be to take them to the bathroom with you, but since us mommy's cant show him like daddy... simply use a small water gun to teach him to aim into the toilet.
    It seems that getting him to go at all is the problem. well i would say at 3 he more than like knows whn he has to go (just wont). this could be a pain at first, but try cutting out diapers during the day for as long as you can. Buy undies w/ fav characters (he wont want 2 dirty them) . Also, praise him if he does go, tell him thats how thebig boys do it. have you tried the small toilet seats that go on the real seat. that's gotta make him feel like a big boy.
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 9:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• lol, i wasnt done.
    Another thing... dont always wait until he says he's gotta go. Jus send him to do his bizzness, keep sending him every 15 min or so. eventually somethings gonna happen.
    There will be accidents but hey, we gotta take the good with the bad. And pls, pls pls dont meake him feel bad about a slip up or 2... things happen.

Gud Luk
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 9:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• thanks 4 all the answers
    crystal27b

Answer by crystal27b at 4:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2009