Why must they charge so much?

Why do animal shelters require a $400 fee to adopt an animal, plus a $50 fee for something or other? I understand they need to make up some of the money they spent for feeding them and vaccinating them, but $400? That's crazy. They say how sad it is that there are so many unwanted pets, but they're charging an arm and leg to adopt adult dogs! If I'm going to spend that much money, I might as well spend an extra $300 and buy a puppy!
I want to get a dog for my daughter. I can afford to feed and groom a dog. I have a cat and have great credit with his Vets office if anything were to unexpectedly happen. I just can't afford to fork over $450 in one lump sum. If homes for these orphaned dogs (and cats) are so few and far between, I just don't understand why they are asking for so much!
Do your local animals shelters charge this much to adopt a pet?
Have any of you found your family pet with out having to pay a small fortune?

AriMicSun

Asked by AriMicSun at 9:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• were the heck do you live or shelters charge $125 per a cat and $150 per a dog
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I just want to let you know we got our two cats when they were kittens by the time they had all there shots done and fixed it cost us about $400 !! So a free cat in the newspaper is not going to be free!! UNLESS YOU PLAN ON NOT TAKING CARE OF IT, OR GETTING IT SNIPPED!! .. so really $400 from a shelter is alot,but your going to spend that much on a "free" one anyways.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Good 'ol, Cape Cod where apparently, they overcharge for everything!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 9:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well like I said, I have great credit at my cats vet office. My cat got hit by a car in 2006 and the surgery cost $5,000 (he broke his jaw and lost an eye, among other things.. my poor kitty) and they let me finance it. and I only paid $175 to get him snipped. And he doesn't get all his shots at the same time, so it's like $30-$60 every 5-6 months or so.
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 9:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am astounded at that much! That would surely discourage people, unless that is the object, to make sure that people who can't afford to own a pet don't get one. I guess it is operating expenses maybe... Around here anyway $100 should cover snipping and shots. It would be another hundred for diagnostic tests- including leukemia and feline AIDs. So ... in the end, as long as the animal has all the tests, is neutered, has shots, then maybe $400 isn't so bad, or $450.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The max our shelters charge is $300, but most dogs are $200 - $250, and I think cats are the same.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• They charged $300. for the Beagle I adopted last summer. Ouch. Then I bought the health plan at Petsmart for almost $300. And all the supplies and all the shots and the bedding and the crate and the food and the treats and the chewy bones.........OMG.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am in MA too, western.. wonder why they charge you so much. and wow!! $5000 on your cat. I love my animals but I couldn't do that much.. GEES...
    is anyone eles with me, or would you spend that much??
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yep we were looking at pets through the shelter till I found out how much they cost. Heck I could get a purebred pup for that price!
    Anonymous

• In Arkansas it's $40. And I didn't forget a zero. Its just plain on $40, shots, fixed and the works.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009