L&D

can anyone give me an idea of what to expect during L&D? I am really nervous about it and want to know what to expect. and how painful it may be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's nothing to compare it to. There's really not a whole lot to say that the Internet or your dr won't tell you. Make sure your dr knows your concerns, and s/he will tell you all you need to know.
    Anonymous

• Labor itself isn't very painful, or it doesn't have to be, if you prepare yourself. My labor was really manageable until my OB broke my water without my consent.

L&D can be a pain in the ass, especially if you work with rude and pushy nurses. Which happens. Make sure you have a birth plan, and that they have looked it over when you come in. Keep a copy if you need to and have some support with you: whether it's DH or a friend, or a doula, to ensure that your birth plan is followed and the nurses respect your wishes. :)

Birth is what you make of it. It can be a crazy painful process, but is also beautiful. If you go in there afraid, your birth wont be the best it can be! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It all depends, it's different for everyone. I'm not going to lie and say it's similar to menstrual cramps (that's what I was told. lol) menstrual cramps yeah right! I had back labor with my daughter, it was the worst pain ever! Also she was ready to come out, but I wasn't completetly efaced. I just kept feeling that pressure, like a big watermelon trying to squeeze out of a small hole. Nurses and doctors kept telling me not to push, but when it's time your body just does it on it's own. Had a c-section after 30 something hours of labor. After it's all done and you hear and see your baby cry, you feel that love and joy and forget all about it. DOn't worry and stay calm. Congratulations!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 11:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009