How would you handle this situation?

My inlaws are very rude not only to me,but now to my 3 month old daughte.

Today was my husbands birthday and his dad invited us to dinner and from the moment we walked in he was rude. It was the first time he seen the baby since she was 1month old and the first thing to come out of his mouth instead of she's grown or how cute or can I hold her was she looks different, you know when a baby is first born they change by the time their 3 months old and the second thing he said, was shut up trying to say it in a joking way but it was uncalled for she was being a little fusssy and instead of letting us handle it he said, shut up! They always have little cheap shots and it's very hurtful, but I never act sad it shows more in an angry way,becasue I never like to show that it hurts my feelings and give them the satisfaction. Hubby did tell him not to say that to her and I said, yeah, that wasn't very nice, but now I am so mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't go back and when they ask why I'd say, it's obvious that her crying bothered you and until she's able to defend herself, we have to do it for her. She's a baby, they cry for a reason and it doesn't matter how old she is, she won't be talked to like that and us be okay with it.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• *How would you handle this situation?
    Anonymous

• I would avoid him, he is a grumpy man. Let your husband deal with him ALONE.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i would just tell them ( of course get ur hubbie to agree to it 1st,) that if they cant respect you and your family then dont expect to see you until they learn a little repect, and that goes for the grandbaby to.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take my daughter around a man like that. Lord knows enough women/girls are subjected to awful men like that. He's abusive, simple as that. Because of problems with my own in-laws, my husband didn't like it when I stopped going to family functions, and I told him that he should be attracted to me because he thinks I am a great mother, and I protect my children. And he should be the leader in his family now, and protect us from some people, even if they are his parents. Eventually, my husband did speak up for his brood, and his family gives us the respect we deserve. I feel comfortable going to my in-laws because I know my hubby can stand by us. It's hard to start acting like a strong, capable adult especially when it's against your folks, but it's rewarding.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2009