for those of you with 2 or more kids...

Do your younger children talk less than your first? Do you find that your firstborn will try to speak for the little one(s)? We're not facing this yet, but our oldest has always been really verbal from a young age, and is basically talking from dawn till dusk. And so far, any time we "talk" to her little sister (just 6 months now) in her presence, she answers for her. What's been your experience, I'm just curious. I'm afraid she'll be quiet just because her sis is so verbose!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 9:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry, I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old and Neither of them ever stop talking. I wish I could go back to when they didn't talk for a day so I could hear myself think! LOL. I'm sure your little one will have a million questions for you too just as soon as she can talk.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son talks till I really can't listen anymore. When we had our daughter they were 16 months apart and he actually taught her how to talk. We'd have books in the car and he would point to things in the pics and tell her to say, bird, tree.... She would and before we knew it we had 2 toddlers blabbing away. DS would try telling everyone what to say. That was the only down side to it. It didn't last that long as well. We have another DD and I hope that her older brother and sister will be as helpful to her as my son was to his sister.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my youngest was quiet for sometime-- i think he was just taking it all in-- and even though his older sister DOES try to talk for him, he talks more than enough for himself-- i wont worry too much about it
    Anonymous

• My oldest talked well, and his younger brother learned to talk early trying to keep up with them, but now I have a dd who is still trying to learn and yes they speak for her all the time, so I have had it go both ways.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My youngest will be two on Saturday and he does not talk. He really has no reason too his older brother and sister talk for him. He just really started to talk more, he says I want gum, gum, gum. We have been working with the other two to stop talking for him and he is pick up a few more words now. They said it was very common.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• For us it is the opposite. Our oldest talked very little (a boy if that matters) and still does talk very little, while our youngest (girl) talks like crazy. I am the oldest and my mom says I talked for my sister all the time and she is still extremely shy so I have really tried to discourage that with my children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My oldest didn't speak until 3 1/2. He has a high-functioning form of autism that led to the late speaking.

My 2nd (my daughter) didn't say much until 2 months past 2. My oldest didn't speak for her, as even when he could speak, he didn't much... he's a little man of few words ;-) It was just her pace. When she started she learned very quickly and never stopped talking lol.

My youngest son was speaking in sentences at 15 months!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2009