How would you handle this situation?

My inlaws are very rude not only to me,but now to my 3 month old daughter.

Today was my husbands birthday and his dad invited us to dinner and from the moment we walked in he was rude. It was the first time he seen the baby since she was 1month old and the first thing to come out of his mouth instead of she's grown or how cute or can I hold her was she looks different, you know when a baby is first born they change by the time their 3 months old and the second thing he said, was shut up trying to say it in a joking way but it was uncalled for she was being a little fusssy and instead of letting us handle it he said, shut up! They always have little cheap shots and it's very hurtful, but I never act sad it shows more in an angry way,becasue I never like to show that it hurts my feelings and give them the satisfaction. Hubby did tell him not to say that to her and I said, yeah, that wasn't very nice, but now I am so mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is best to ignore ignorance as best as you can.
    I was offended when my FIL did not even make the effort to make the 2 hour trip to our home to see his first great-grandchild. When she was 5 weeks old we made the trip down to him and it was very difficult because she just did not want to sit in her carseat for that long of a period of time. She wanted to be held and comforted. Poor little thing. And when we got there he held her all of 5 minutes. I was ticked off!
    I care very much about my FIL - he has helped us through many hardships all these years, but I was offended by his attitude about his great-granddaughter. Perhaps I'm reading more into it, but we won't be making the trip down there very often until she gets old enough to withstand the time in the carseat.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Don't go around them and when they ask why you havent been coming around tell them the truth.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• wow... you handled it much better then i would... joking or not... no one would tell my baby to "shut up"...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• * I know, I just sat thers so pissed off. I didn't talk to him at all after that and I didn't say good bye. It was my husbands birthday and I guess for him I held my tounge. Now I feel so hurt and mad I do want to say something to him, but would like some advice on how to go about it. Trust me they don't want to see me go off but im not sure what to do. I put this in the just for fun section just so I would get more responses on how to deal with this. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• Luckily it was 2 months between your visits with them. If they are being that rude to you and you don't feel comfortable being around them then DH should visit them on his own. Does your DH feel the same way?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't go over there anymore. And like someone said when they ask why you can tell them the truth. And you did handle it very well. I may have gone off on them as well.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• *My DH will always take my side, but he makes excuses for them alot more with his dad then his mom. I feel like im a wedge between them, but they could help heal this relationship or tear it apart more by being rude. I seriously dont ever want to talk or see either of them again.
    Anonymous

• I would've walked out with my baby and told them I'd come back when they learned decency. I'd think you married my ex, but he never would stand up to him.
    And yeah I've walked out on them. And the weird thing is, they liked me better after.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009