How can I help my daughter get to sleep easier at night. She is laying in bed for hours just "thinking" of how she can get to sleep.

Goes to bed without a fuss. She is 9. She lays in bed and thinks too much about being the "last" one in the house awake. I just don't know how to help her.
Frustrated.

kcbrae09

Asked by kcbrae09 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• When you say she lays awake thinking about being the "LAST" one in the house awake, is it b/c she wants to be or she is afraid to be????
    wonderfulwife09

Answer by wonderfulwife09 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Does your daughter participate in any sport or extracurricular activity? I find that the more active a child is during the day the easier it is for them to fall asleep. I also have major sleep issues, I have an upstairs neighbor who snores like a freight train so I can't fall asleep at night unless I have my mp3 player on. Try putting soothing music on a mp3 for her to listen to at bed time. get her into sports so that she is exhausted at bedtime. Good luck
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Maybe talk to her dr about giving her 500mcg of melatonin. It's the same thing our bodies make when it gets ready for sleep. Maybe she has seasonal affective disorder. A friend of mine has that, and has a horrible time going to sleep because her body doesn't make enough melatonin. Her two year old son has the same issue.
    Anonymous

• my husband and oldest son both do this. They find it very difficult to "shut their brains off" at night. My husband still has problems with it, but I have been able to get my son to over come it for the most part. I started this when he was about 6 but he did not really accomplish it until 8 almost 9yo.

When he goes to bed for the night, he has to have all the lights off except his night light. I then switched the night light from one of those that take the bulbs, to one that just glows when plugged into the wall which made the room darker. Then he gets into bed and gets comfortable. When he is ready, he will think about all the good things of the day, and good things of the future and think about them to the point of picturing it in his head. As he is doing this, he drifts off to sleep, and according to him usually dreams about what he is thinking. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My daughter takes Melatonin as someone else mentioned. It's something you can get at a vitamin shop like GNC. My doctor suggested it because she has ADHD but anyone can take it. I take them too when I can't sleep. Works great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I take Melatonin sometimes to help my mind shut down. I was just like your daughter when I was little but only discovered it about a year ago. I don't like to take sleep aids, but this really doesn't have a lingering feeling the next day.
    Anonymous

• Soothing music, a white noise machine. Ask her what is bothering her about being the last one in the house asleep. Ask her doctor to talk to her and what she can be given to help her sleep. I wouldn't give her anything without asking the doctor, natural or not. I find that if I read before bed, it helps me sleep, I have used deep breathing too. I also have to have the room completely dark to sleep and no background noise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Have you thought about aromatherapy?
    Diamond_D

Answer by Diamond_D at 11:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009