My daughter turns 4 in August and she will be having her first "real" birthday party. Do you have ideas/resources for having a fun party that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

We are thinking of having the party at home and grilling hot dogs and hamburgers.

Asked by hesmommafl at 10:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That sounds like a good idea.. You could always have family bring a dessert or something..

Answer by shenae704 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My step daughter is going to be 8 this summer, we bought a slip & slide and a sprinkler and were doing burgers & dogs and inviting the family, last year we had water baloons and squirt guns... adults stay on the deck and in the garage and that's off limits to any water... works great for everyone involved!!!

Answer by mars33me at 10:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We had our 4yo's party at the park - no games or entertainment necessary! We had them play for a little while, then had cake. Play some more, open presents. Play some more, hit the pinata. After that, everyone went home. Party was about 2 hours.

Answer by kmgoff30 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I think the BBQ is a great idea! An easy way to jazz it up for kids is to buy "themed" cups plates and napkins. You can have them match the cake. Someone suggested water ballons but with the age group I'd just turn on the sprinkler.

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2008