CIO= Brain Damage... studies?

I have heard several moms claim that CIO has been proven to cause brain damage. Me being the curios individual that I am, has been scouring the interenet looking for this research study or an artical on the proclamed medical trial and am having diffuculty locating it. Would aprechiate the help if anyone could post articals... one way or the others.. the "scientific" prove or disproof... because I have also heard alot of "prove" from both sides of the camp... but I love to study these things(yes.. I am a nerd). Usually I don't have a hard time finding articals on the things I want to research... but I am having alot of difficulty with this one.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 10:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• wow...ive never heard that before! seems a little...off
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Hi ,I think this may be a bit of a misinterpretation (Iv'e never looked for studies though). During the first few years of life your brain goes through synaptic pruning. Synapses that your brain isn't going to use die off and synapses that your brain is going to use strengthen. This is normal. I think the idea is that excessive stress can cause the synapses for stress reactions to strengthen while other synapses weaken. Such is the case in child abuse. If you believe that CIO causes excessive stress, then you would believe that the brains neurological hard wiring is being damaged. This is not necessarily brain damage as happens in traumatic injury of the brain. I think that a lot of people don't understand this concept and assume we mean literal brain damage like you would get in a car accident. Google terms like : synaptic pruning, Synaptic pruning + child abuse, synaptic pruning+ stress

Anonymous

• I should have mentioned that it's the release of the stress hormone cortisol or corticosteroid (can't remember which) which is believed to damage the neurons. So another good search term would be Synaptic pruning + cortisol or corticosteroids.    Of course what makes it debatable is whether you think that CIO makes your kids that stressed or not.  I know it does make some kids that stressed, my fried lets her son CIO even if he cried till he vomits.  I don't know about you but if I cry till I vomit someone better do something....:)

Anonymous

• But those studdies suggest excessive stress over long periods of time. And cortisol and adoral are viatal to the bodies ability to... well live for one and to control stress... I should know. I have to take both orally since my body can not produce it at the right amounts. The only studies that I have seen that link cortisol to brain damage (well, suggestive links) are in people who have suffered sever periods of stress... like a soilder in war, or a child in an extreamly abusive home...

Is there any actually studdies that suggest that 12-30 min of a baby crying causes brain damage, or as you were suggestiong alterations to the developing nurological pathways?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think the studies you are thinking of are the ones by Michael L. Commons and Patrice M. Miller, researchers at the Medical School's Department of Psychiatry, Harvard. Commons talks about changes it can cause in the brain, and how the child responds to stress later in life, he does not call it "brain damage" though.
    Here are some links to some articles:
    "Children Need Touching, Harvard Researchers Say" http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

"Another Way to Promote Infant Helath" http://www.parentingweb.com/ap/sleep_health.htm

Dr. James McKenna from The University of Notre Dame Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Labhas some similar research results as well. Go to http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html
    and you can download the article "Why babies should never sleep alone: A review of the co-sleeping controversy in relation to SIDS, bedsharing and breast feeding"
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• craziness, lol
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• "Is there any actually studdies that suggest that 12-30 min of a baby crying causes brain damage, or as you were suggestiong alterations to the developing nurological pathways?"

In Dr. McKenna's article "Why babies should never sleep alone: A review of the co-sleeping controversy in relation to SIDS, bedsharing and breast feeding" there is a section titled "The Psychological Evidence That Healthy Social Relations in the Context of Co-sleeping Promotes Healthy Human Development" where he presents evidence that children who co-slept with their parents were stronger emotionally later in life than children who slept alone as infants.
    If you are interested you can download the article at http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• From McKenna's research "Children who share sleep with their parents are actually more independent than their peers. They perform better in school, have higher self esteem, and fewer health problems. After all, who is more likely to be well-adjusted -- the child who learns that his needs will be met, or the one who is left alone for long periods of time? McKenna suggests that it is confusing for a baby to receive cuddles during the day, while also being taught that the same behavior is inappropriate at night."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think it's a crock about the co-sleeping. My daughter is asleep at night, all night, she is not thinking about cuddling. When she wakes up in the morning, she plays in her crib and is in there talking. When I go in, she's all smiles!! And saying that people have been better off later in life, well there is just no proof that one has anything to do with other. Always remember that the person conducting the study will come to any conclusion that they want. Correlational and cause and effect are two very different situations. I go to the store today, my cat dies tonight. Should I never go to the store again? . . . many studies are no more logical than that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You can find studies on anything if you search hard enough. There are no real medical studies that back up CIO=Brain damage lol.....if that were the case there'd be LOTS more retarded people in the world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2009