Question about baptism

Me and my family have been going to a church for a while but we do not think it is the right church for us.It is very small,not alot of people are there,and the preacher never seems to give a good message that really speaks to me.We are thinking about joining a different church that is alot bigger but I really want to get baptized.I am very shy and it has taken me a long time to get enough courage to go infront of the church and do it.Would it be wrong to get baptized at my smaller church before we leave? I kind of feel like I would be "using" the smaller church if I did this and then left.What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Find a church where your heart belongs & baptize there.
    Anonymous

• should it matter where you get baptized as long as you do it?
    Anonymous

• I would say if you dont feel apart or like this is the right church for you, find the right church and when you feel comfortable and at home then get baptised. If you do it with someone just because it is a smaller church it wont mean as much as getting done with people that love you and care for you and a pastor who you admire and look up to. ( just my opinion). And jsut a side note, a big church might not necissarily be exactly what you are looking for. It might be, but you might find a loving, caring church that preaches the word of God and has messages that speak to your heart at a smaller church. So i say look at both and find what you need and are looking for. Just a thought.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 10:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Answer to Anon 10:34 ... to have a good strong feeling of community with the church. You will always say that's is the priest,deacon who baptized my baby. You won't have that if you change the church. The community is a huge support & benefit of church.

Anonymous

• I had my son do all 3 sacraments at the same church I did mine at. There is something wonderful about having the community there with you.Not that everyone in my community are Catholic, but a good amount are. I was so proud to see him do all of this and in the same church where his grandpa had his funeral.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would check with the church your interested in,if it's a different religion you may need to study before getting baptized.I also know bigger churches have a bigger tithe.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think that wherever you want to get baptized is up to you and God. I wouldn't put so much pressure on yourself. I feel like I could have written this. Heres my story. It might make you feel better. I was born going to church. My dad is a pastor and my mom played the piano and it was just a part of my life. My father taught me about the things of the Lord from a very early age and when I was 5, I asked Jesus into my heart. As I got older, I learned more about God and continued to recommitt myself to him as a teen and several times again as an adult. I wasn't getting resaved, but just recommitting. BUT, I never had the courage to get baptized. I thought to myself. I have been a christian since I was 5, but I ve have never been baptized! It seemed so odd because it was something that everyone else looked at as no big deal, but I was terrified. I didnt understand why I had such a block with that. ONe sunday night....cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• cont...when I was about 21 yrs old, my dad had just finished teaching and they decided to open the baptismal to anyone who needed to get rid of the past. I hadn't fallen away from the Lord, but I knew that I had grown spiritually so much that it was time. I felt God telling me it was time. I cried so hard because I was terrified. PETRIFIED! Everyone thought I was crying because the Holy Spirit was moving me and dealing with me and that was not it at all. So I got in line....still crying. The senior pastor was a younger guy that I had come to really admire and love and as soon as I walked up, he said to me...hey, I am going to let your dad do this. I began sobbing harder. Still scared. My dad got down there and held my head to his chest and said to me....its over...the past is done and this is a new beginning for you. I cried even harder! If thats possible. Then it was over. I have grown spiritually a lot since then and ...cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• cont....I have had several times to get rebaptized....not because the first time wasn't good enough but its something that a lot of people do when they change drastically or go through big transformations spiritually. I always say no. That first time is SO special to me...one because I pushed through my fear and did it and because my dad, whom I am very close to, was the one to do it for me. I don't want to take away from that. So I can emphathize with you about the fear and if it would help to have less people, then do that. Its not about the church you go to...its about the God that is cleansing you and hes the same at any church....Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You can get baptized where you are comfortable and then transfer your membership if you want...you can technically get baptized in a pool, lake, ocean. wherever as long as it is by a minister. good luck and God bless. Good for you!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009