stripping membranes

I am 38 weeks and next monday my doctor will be stripping my membranes if my baby is not here yet, what does that mean and how long after you have it done did you go into labor?

jparker289

Asked by jparker289 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ooo it could be super soon!! im 36 weeks and next monday i see the OB and ill be 37 weeks..i wonder if they'll strip mine too =P
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 10:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I had it done to me and I was in labor a few hours later.
    astrozombies

Answer by astrozombies at 10:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• you only have 2 weeks to go whats the hurry? It means that he will seperate the bag of waters from your uterus, depending on if you are dilated yet and how much. It irritates the bag of waters in the hopes of it breaking your water later or starting you to contract because of the foreign intruision of him messing around up there. It's not my body, but I would wait, it isn't full proof, but can make you go into labor, and if your baby isnt ready you dont want to force things because then it leads to pitocin and tons of interventions and if baby isnt ready maybe a c-section. Dont rush things, you can always say no
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I had mine done this past Thursday. No luck yet. With my second I went into labor 4 days later.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• hey thanks but my baby is really big and i have high blood pressure, but i want to try anything i can before they do a c-section, they wanted to do it today but I decided to wait
    jparker289

Answer by jparker289 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Striping the membranes can help start labor, but not allways. So there is not "time" that anyone can really give you. Stripping the mebrane means that she will insert a finger through your cervix and "sweep" her finger between the cervix and the membrane (amionic sac). This is to release hormones that are supposed to help soften and thin the cervix.

But why is she in such a rush. At 38 weeks? Normally doctors and midwifes wont do things like that till you are past your due date.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I was a few days past my due date and my dr did it, he basically does exactly what ak aries said. My water broker less then 24 hours later and I was in labor for 12 hours before they finally had to give me a c section because i wouldn't dilate past like 3 cm. I always have wondered if he hadn't done that and i went into labor on my own if i would've avoided the c-section. but then again, she was past due and that isn't good for the baby anyway. It was a bit uncomfortable but very quick and not painful. If your dr thinks its necessary and you are ok with then i wouldnt be too concerned with it.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 10:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i had mine striped and i had gon into full on labor an hour later
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I had mine striped 3 times last thursday and it brought me from 2cm to 4-5 and then my ob decided to break my water so i got to have my little one. I will tell you this it is pretty painful i wouldn't want it done again
    Anonymous