World's hungriest baby...

I am going nuts trying to keep up with my hungry little girl. I pump and feed exclusively and I've been able to keep up with her so far, but with about an ounce to spare at the end of the day. She is 2 months old and drinks bottle after bottle...ALL DAY LONG. She is just hungry. She is now in the 90th percentile for her weight and only the 50th for her height. I feel like I'm fattening her up for thanksgiving or something...and let me just say...she is not happy if she has to wait to eat. She gives you about 2 seconds warning, and by god you better have something for her. I've tried to entertain her and distract her to get her to go longer between feedings and maybe take more at a time, but what else do I do!!! This goes on around the clock and I'm not sleeping plus I'm dropping crazy amounts of weight from making all the milk. She is eating me alive!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is probably having a growth spurt. My son had a massive growth spurt between his 2nd and 3 month... he gained 4 lbs and grew 3 inches.
    I would try to add more pumping sessions in to increase you supply like you would if she were at the breast (my son would eat hourly)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• it will pass. have you tryed to breast feed? they tend to eat just a littel less when they breast feed because they have to work harder. my baby is 4 month old now, but when she was 2 she ate every hour. soon your baby will get better and eat every 2 hours. don't worry about her weigh my baby is so chuby i can't even see her neck behind those cheeks :)
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 10:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my son is now 11 months old but for the first 3 months of his life he ate every 45 min to and hour. he was always 90% in weight but 50 in height, he now has evened out at 70 /70. he still eats more than most kids and i feel that he is goin to eat me out of house and home one day. kids eat it what they do. i wouldnt worry to much. i saw specialist over it. finally we went to formula at night and eventually i had to stop breast feeding because i became ill and had to go on steroids . i wish you the best but it does get better she'll just be a big girl
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I've found that it's so hard to keep up with baby while pumping. It's hard enough when you're feeding her at the breast and a growth spurt hits... they always want more, but at least you can just put baby to breast every 45 minutes or whatever. When I pumped (not exclusively, but I worked 3 days a week) it was a losing battle. Babies actually will take more from the bottle than they would at the breast and you pump less than baby could get from the breast. Keep trying, pump as often as possible. You can also try Mother's Milk tea or Fenugreek to try to increase your supply.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009