Columbine and other school shootings...

I have just stumbled across this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1164219/British-teenagers-accused-plotting-blow-school-shops-10th-anniversary-Columbine-massacre.html

Does anybody have any ideas why teenagers are doing this? This rarely happens in the UK. And then i read this and was just shocked.

Columbine was horrible. I learnt a lot about it recently. Why would anybody want to repeat that?
How these british boys got the firearms is beyond me! Its so difficult to get a gun here and these boys are under 17!

Thoughts on this please.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lack of discipline and attention in my opinion.

BTW, I LOVE BRITISH PEOPLE!! :-D
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I really think people are attention whores these days. They desire a connection or a legacy and they think the only way to get their point across and "finally be heard" is to do something dramatic.
    We need to give our youth better outlets and more attention.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Actually it's not just the US. Just a week or two ago something similar happened in Germany.

I think there are so many different problem today and one of them is a lack of personal close relationships perpetuated by increaseing television viewing, internet relationships/convos, xbox, wii and all sorts of ways to dissasociate oneself from reality.

Society is breaking down. There were always divorces, adultery and broken homes, but not so much as today. Children are growing up without parents, one parent, and many times one parent who has to work so much they're not there to raise the child. Many teanagers I know are lonely, unsupervised, angry and desperate for a connection. Oftentimes this leads to easier giving in to peer pressure, sex, and unhealthy attachments.

We rely on schools to raise our children and that just doesn't WORK.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I never said it was just the US. I said it rarely happens in the UK. But i know of the Germany shooting. That really upset me. All of them do. Even the conspiritors like these boys.

I think you have a point about the distancing from reality. But, i wouldn;t not let my kid play on game consoles or stuff like that. Just make sure he got out more and such.
    Do you think the parents share some of the blame?
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Illegal guns are always easier to get than legal. And these things pretty much always go back to the parents. I'd be more concerned that they managed to research and create homemade explosives (in both cases) with nobody noticing. They've blamed everything from music to video games for Columbine, but the truth is if their parents had paid attention, they could've gotten them help.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I hate the way EVERYTHING in the media was blamed for columbine. Its sad. We make our own choices do we not?

Guns are so rare over here. Seriously, brits are always imensely shocked when the read about someone getting shot. It is SO hard to get a gun. You need references, every kind of check they can come up with before anything starts rolling.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• it's very easy to get guns here. very. i think we need some major firearms reform. i think you should be able to have a gun to protect yourself but don't think certain kinds of firearms should be allowed. there should be more steps involved to obtain a gun and more requirements.

i think a number of factors contributed to the disaster at columbine. these kids were bullied, the outsiders etc. lack of parental supervision, movies, video games etc probably all played a roll.

Praying and NP pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I live near where Columbine happened and much of the problem there I think was lack of parental support. Those kids were left to their own devices, and some kids when left alone like that to play video games and hang out in the internet all the time will get pretty messed up. Some kids are fine on their own and will never have problems, but a lot of kids aren't like that. They need parents around or at least some sort of adult to provide guidance. It's sad when parents don't place their kids as their top priority. Some teens see what happened at Columbine as cool (shows how messed up people can be) and for awhile there were even videos on youtube glorifying it. It's sad that people do that. They have no idea what it was really like.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• mum2be

Yes i think in a charly and the chocoalte factory way parents are to blame. We rely on strangers and electronics to raise our kids.

Parents need to raise and love kids and yes that includes teanagers :)

We do have a wii (the only game consol we have) mostly for the wii fit, although SD has a guitar hero piece to it and plays once a month or so. Mostly we compete on surf's up and other non violent games.

We have ONE TV, in the living room. Not one in kids rooms or bedrooms to distance ourselves from each other. We do all have our own laptops (me for my couponing and deals, dh for work (they provide his) and sd for school) however, recreation time on computers for her is limited to pretty much weekends.

When we lax on these rules even a bit I see a HUGE difference in her attiutde, I think REAL people intereaction builds true social skills and basis in reality, REAL LIFE.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sorry, posting again, I just feel so strongly on this topic.

You see my SD has a friend, who lives with her Father and 2 brothers' (mother is gone in florida). The brothers are 16 and 18, the girl is 14. The father is a self proclaimed metro, really he's a hippe with no idea how to raise children. He obtained custody of the children 3 years ago, I don't know why but I think drugs were involved.

The girl stayed at our house half the time jan/feb and the beggining of March. I found that she had shown sd a nasty cult website to do with sex/anime/etc. - that she was (the other girl) talking to a boy who says he's in canada (but whose phone is in south carolina or virginia or something) and telling him sehs' 15 and she wants to have sex with him in the woods when she tricks her dad into going camping. She started dragging SD into this so we had to stoop taking care of the girl.

I feel bad b/c she has no parental supervi
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009