Why do Christians believe in hell if Jesus never talked about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Exactly
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I dont I believe in a loving God. I am not the typical christian though.
    Anonymous

• I'm Catholic and the Bible talks about Hell, so I do believe in it. I don't, however, believe in Purgatory.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Because it's in the Bible. Just because Jesus didn't mention it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• If it exists, why didn't Jesus mention it himself?
    Anonymous

• im a Christian who isnt 100% sold on Hell being a literal fire & brimstone kinda thing. to me Hell is more of the "being away from God" idea. or having God say "im disappointed in the way you lived your life, get away from me" kinda idea.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• MOre so than about heaven. Here's just a few:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
    Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heave
    Anonymous

• Hey Anon, there are two sections of the Bible. The First Testament and the Second Testament. The First Testament is the foundation and lays the groundworks for good and evil. The Second Testament is where the more liberal christians and born-agains place their emphasis. Both testaments need each other - it's just a matter of which one a Christian places emphasis on. Jesus isn't the end all, be all of Christianity.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• *cont.\
    Luk 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.
    Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
    Luk 16:23 And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Anonymous