Moms with kids less then 2 years apart...will I loose my mind? lol...read on...

Well ladies, I am expecting baby #2 and my little one is 11 months old tomorrow. I am super excited but can't help and wonder if I will be able to handle this. More over, will my little girl be ok with it? she is the center of our universes and its not like she is a 4 year old where i can start showing her "big sister" books and start telling her stories about being the older sister and preparing her for the new baby. How did you cope with two kids and how did you prepare the "big" sibling for the new baby?

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 10:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• You'll be fine. My first 2 are 15 months apart and the third came 13 months after the 2nd (3 kids under 3 years old).
    And you can most definitely start talking to her about being the big sister. I did and my oldest was only 7 months old when I found out I was pregnant. From that day we included the new baby in most of our conversations. If we were doing something or going somewhere I would ask her what she thought the new baby would think of what we were doing, etc. We talked about the new baby a lot and what a great big sister she would be. By the time her brother came along she was so excited and she was only 15 months. She helped a lot with him. We did the same when I was pregnant with the 3rd. I think it's easier for a younger kid to adjust since after awhile they don't remember not having the new baby around whereas an older kid can hold a grudge.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nah, my oldest two are 13 months apart. My oldest was mad at first because he was used to being the baby...but he got over it and helped me! He would go get the diaper or pick up the burp cloth if it fell...little things. Just hang in there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i dont have two of my own, but i do have one 20 month old and have been watching another little girl thats now 8 months old. my son is the sweetest little boy i've ever met and continued to be so with this other baby around. we only see her twice a week so its not like ALL his time is take away but still some. he's responded well. takes toys to the girl if she fusses, says her name if she cries and it distracts her some to stop crying. my son is very sweet around other people, giving random hugs and blowing kisses and saying hi to people in front of us at walmart. what is your lo's personality? this might give you a taste of how they will be when #2 arrives. only being a "sitter" for this other baby, i told my son that she was coming to play. i know this isnt the exact answer you wanted but it might spark an idea of what to say or do.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have a friend who had her second last week, her oldest turns one tomorrow....she has two kids under the age of one! Lol, I think its nuts! She is a brave woman! Anyway, no you will not lose your mind. It will be fine. Start talking to your oldest about the baby in your belly, she'll be super excited by the time the baby gets here. Once the baby is born make the older one your little helper, they love to help out.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• LOL. Mine are 20 months apart. My daughter regressed a little in her potty training, when my son came along, and wanted to be the baby,too. She got past it pretty quickly, though, and now she tries to be a little mommy. (They are 6 and 8,now).
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My kids are 17 months apart. Don't worry about your older one, she will never remember being an only child! It's a little crazy at times but it is nice to have them so close in age.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My boys are 13 months apart. My oldest was great when we brought the baby home. There were moments where I felt bad because I couldn't give him exactly what he wanted at that moment in time (ex. more juice or such) but I can now say that he has learned patience and he believes me when I say I will get it in a minute or as soon as I can. Baby #3 is due in August. My youngest at the moment will be 20 months. I will have three under three. I am little more concerned this time since my youngest has a totally different personality than my oldest. He isn't as laid back and easy going. I think he may be in shock when the baby comes but we will get through it. There isn't much to do to prepare him. As we get the baby things together we say this is for you baby sister that is coming. We show them the ultrasound pictures. They understand a lot more than we think.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• im about to pop #3...my first 2 are less than a yr apart..my 2nd was born 10 days before my 1sts first bday..im not gonna lie, you're gonna have your times where you're gonna lose it, but thats not that often..you just learn to go with the flow. when i would talk about my 2nd w my 1st, it was all about HER baby so that she would feel included in everything..she never resented her. she couldnt be around her baby though for the first few days becuase she had a highly contagious virus, but i just had to let them see each other after those few days..she almost pulled her to the ground becuase of the way i was pulling her, but she was just trying to give her loves..now they're both having a baby sister, and i refer to the baby as their baby..im not sure my older one actually realizes whats going on even though she's already been through this, but my 2nd, who's loves playing mommy is just exstatic that another baby is coming...
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• im thinking how crazy Im gonna go adding a 3rd to the mix!!! luckily kids #1 and 2 will be just shy of being 3 and 4 when this baby comes next month..ill have little helpers this time around
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, you will do fine. I just found out a friend of mine is pregnant with 7---one single, twins, twins,single and now this one:-) She is a classy lady who always looks so nice when she goes out. And she has some really nice kids--all under the age of 10:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2009