Taking a 9 month old in a U Haul long-distance...am I nuts??

I am thinking of taking a U Haul cross country with my 9 month old daughter. Do you think that would be too much stress for the both of us? I've never left her with anyone before, and I wouldn't feel comfortable sending her ahead of me (to stay with relatives). Any ideas or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know if this is feasible or not, but I had to move from NY to CA last fall. My DF and FIL drove, while I took my then 10 month old on the plane with me. Since it was a one-way trip, it wasn't so bad, and didn't cost much at all. I was very concerned about safety and driving across the country anyway. I'd go bonkers with my DF for that long on the road!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You'd better have a DVD player, movies and lots of books and toys for that trip!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Can that even be done safely? I mean she would be in the front seat and I'm not sure thats safe for her at all.
    Anonymous

• That's a good point, anonymous 1117...I'll have to look into that...
    Anonymous

• I tried putting my son's car seat rear facing in the center seat in a uhaul once for a quick trip across town and it woudln't fit because that seat is so short the end of his convertable seat was hanging off the end of the vehicle seat. We ended up taking a taxi.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Go to the UHaul place and ask them about having a carseat in the front, see if they will let you check and see if the carseat would fit rearfacing. We did it before, because we had to, moving with the military from TX to Nebraska when my oldest son was only 6 months old. It was fine, his carseat fit in it just fine, he was perfectly safe since there were no passenger side airbags or anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009