Is $140 to much?

It costs $140 to reserve a gazebo at the park near our house. You get the gazebo for four hours and if you leave it clean with no damage you get $50 back. Is this to expensive? Would you do it? I would just have my son's birthday party a Grandpa's house but if any of the family on my husband's side show up there is sure to to alcohol, which I think it totally inappropriate for my son's first birthday so I want to have the party where it will not be allowed. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could do for this situation?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We spent $120 to reserve a pavilion at the Mariott for my son's 2nd B-day and got $40 back afterwards (whick i wasn't expecting). A couple of people thought it was a bit steep, but, it was so worth it. Everyone had alot of fun and it was perfect. For his 1st B-day we spent $80 for a splash pad pavilion. I wouldn't spend too much more than that for a toddler party, but if your not in financial need or anything, go for it. Birthdays should be special!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would pay it. It's worth it if it means not having alcohol at your son's party if that's what you want to avoid. The fee is not unheard of...
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 11:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It depends on your financial situation. I hate that my parents spent hundreds of dollars on my birthday parties but didn't secure my education money. So just make your decision wisely.
    Anonymous

• I was wondering why the gazebo? is there someplace indoors like a local VFW hall or YMCA party room, in case of bad weather and also that is usually much cheaper for memebers? I agree that if this is only option to grampas house with drinking then do it. It is worth the money to not have a drunkfest at a childs party. I had this prob with some of my family and I finally decided to pout my foot down. A childs party is not the place for drinkong,a nd they can go one freakin day...one tik,e i had to ask a few folks to leave as they were getting really rowdy. Tthere is a time and place for that kinda partying and its up to you how you want ds to spend his special day. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would pay for it
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Bearsjen, by the time my son's birthday rolls around on May 12th the weather should be nice here in Northern California. I like the idea of the pavilon because it has one of those water fountains right next to it for the kids to play in.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would pay for it. I know how much it sucks to have alcohol show up at a kid's birthday.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yeah, I would pay for it too. My sister had my nephews party outside every year for the first 8 years. There was a big field right beside so we would play baseball (with hollow plastic balls and bats, of course) and it was always a great time. Now, he's 9 soon to be 10 and his parties are at the sports emporium now.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would go to a park where you can just use one for free... but honestly, this is something only you can decide.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am really cheap so I would probably just try to go to the park early and find a gazebo not in use. I'm not sure how crowded your local park is though, it might not be so easy if they are all full.
    If alcohol is a major concern for you and is the only reason you don't want it at a house just ask politely that people drink their alcohol in a cup and keep it away from children at all times. Or just ask people not to drink...I know that is not always easy though. Hope its a great party whatever you do decide:)
    LuckieLadie

Answer by LuckieLadie at 2:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2009