for parents with grown children

Do you still 'parent' your grown children?
I was out with my mother this weekend and although I am 27 she still treats me like I am 10. When we go shopping she wants to make sure my clothing fit properly (they fit fine and even she admits that I am a better dresser then her) she is always picking me up for things as if I am a little girl. She even tells me how I should talk to my husband. I haven't lived with her in over 10 years and she wont stop. She has admitted that because I moved out at 17 that's the age she will always see me as.
Do you do this to your children?
Do you have any advice on how to get her to stop?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 11:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I live nextdoor to my mom and I am closely monitored as to what time I wake up, what my son and I eat, when I water the grass, my house is too messy and then when I work my butt on the yards or inside my home I am told to stop already because I am working too hard. I am 39 years old! lol, and she makes sure she notices when my bedroom light goes off. hmm, I guess that's why I sleep in my L/R now, she can't see this window from her house.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, I understand what you're talking about. My mom did that too. I have to set up boundaries for myself when it comes to her 'cause otherwise she would get to me. I limit the amount of time I'm around her.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 1:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• parenting doesn't end when your child turns 18...or 28...or 38. I'm almost 50 with grown kids, and raising 2 grandkids and my mother still does this to me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My kids & I have great relationships. I think they try to mother me!! Especially when it comes to my medical conditions. I do give them advice sometimes but that is all it is. BTW my kids are 29, 25 & 22
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I know I do this with my 20 year old daughter. I'm sorry, in my eyes she is still my "little girl" and I will always love her dearly. She is a child of my heart and we have been through so much together. It was just her and I together conquering the world before I met my husband who became her daddy, the only one she has ever known. She now has a baby and lives with us. She has made a lot of terrible choices in her life and I have a great fear for her and her baby due to the reckless choices she makes.
    I have learned not to tell her what or what not to wear, though. All I ask of her is if she goes out in public with us she dresses appropriately. I will buy her nice things, but only as a mom would naturally buy for her daughter.
    As for giving her advice with men, I will constantly do that until she learns how to choose out of love and not lust. She has a child with an absent father.
    Enjoy your mom!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes we mother all the time, but with me, I let my children grow and learn. I have a 25, 24, 19, 16, 2 yr old and 2 grandchildren. I taught them about making their own choices at a young age, and how to talk with me. Everyone tells me we are a totally different kind of family, and their friends envy our relationships. Mothers cannot let go...............you need to talk to them and let them know it is time. Don't just say you are all grown up now........but TALK.
    Anonymous

• Mom's are mom's for ever that is our job. Take what she says with a grain of salt . One day she may not be with you, and you will miss her advice to you dearly. She doesn't mean to be insulting or anything she is trying to be a good mom. And no matter where you are or how old you may be she is always worrying about you. Just take a breath and suck it up it's your mom, leave it be and learn to live with it.
    laffingitup

Answer by laffingitup at 12:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009