Are the recent lifethreatening healthcare "mishaps" given to our vets at VA hospitals an indication of what universal healthcare would be like?

Recently, more than 3000 patients were subjected to unsterilized equipment for colonoscopies. Since 2004, patients have been exposed to life-threatening diseases, from HIV to Hepatitis. Not only do these victims have to be tested for diseases, everyone they have been in contact with should be warned also...This has happened in more than one state!

Do you think this is an indication of the quality of care and expertise we all would receive if we had a universal healthcare system?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-bn0323-vets-hospital,0,544250.story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29842788/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do !!! If you have ever had to deal with a government agency...then you know that them being in charge of healthcare is a bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Damn - DH is elligible for service disabled va medical care - but I am SO SO glad we have private insurance. Not only will VA docs not give an rx and fill an rx for the insulin that actually works better for him (b/c its too expensive) but this is just another reason that the va is our last resort.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Beaurocrats are not doctors. I don't understand why people think the two should mix.

The freakin politicians can't even do their own jobs- like reading new legislation before voting on it. So, I gotta great idea, lets put them in charge of the OR!

Do you think they all sit around and do drugs while they are supposed to be working?

Yeah, man, helping the marsh mice is gonna save the planet, I can see it now. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• OMG - could you imagine being a vet, having this fairly common procedure, and then knowing you could've potentially contracted HIV??? heads would (and should) roll...

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Some of our more easily processed claims came in the form of medicaid from our state. I worked in our busiest perinatal hospital from 2003-2007 and let me tell ya- If I ever see a bc/bs insurance card again, it will be too soon.

Veterans benefits have been cut drastically in the last few years, and it would be nice to see someone with a brain at that helm, and soon. I don't believe that this is an accurate portrayal of what UHC would be like. Generally speaking, the way it has been in the last 8 years, we've had incoherant and untrained people heading up some of our largest bureaucracies. This is typical of the previous type of government. But with UHC, some of the confusion would be gone. Everyone would have similar benefits, and there wouldn't be all this wrangling over whether or not some companies will actually pay up.

There is something very big to say for simplification.

Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Beaurocrats are not doctors.

I wasn't aware that CEOs of large insurance and drug companies were doctors either. Should they mix??
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• when was the last time the CEO of anything made a judgment about your health care?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Having worked in the military healthcare system and VA, that is the worst of the worst. It's back alley surgery. If you want to get narcotics and anti-anxiety meds, go to the VA. They will give you enough to where you don't have to go back. I worked at the one in North Chicago and it was ghastly..GHASTLY is being nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Check your state's department of health and you'll find just as many problems at privately run hospitals.

What I think this is an indication of is the total disregard the US has for its military personnel and their families. They should get the BEST, but they don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• medicaid may have processed easily but I can tell you from the point of view of someone who was ON it once upon a time it was AWFUL. You were treated like dirt by the nurses and doctors. You waited HOURS! and you are treated like they are doing you a huge favor and you should kiss the ground they walk on! I was SO glad when we got PI and were treated better! And yeah it was ...no co pay, no paper work.  You just had to be ok with crappy service and attitude!  The people have ZERO incentive to treat you better.  You are stuck, and they KNOW it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2009