I am 36 wks pregnant and I have Gestaional Diabetes.?I have not been able to control my Glucose Levels with diet and my doc cannot get me in to see a specialist til the day b4 my due date. My question is:: If I cant get into a specialist and I keep failing my Glucose Test, what action will the Dr take with my levels staying too high ???? Please Help

LouWho422

Asked by LouWho422 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• He may put you on Insulin. I had GD and was taking 3 insulin shots a day to control my sugars. After you have the baby, your sugars will be back to normal right away, but be careful with what you eat as GD usually brings on Diabetes w/in 10 years my doctor told me. I got it 2 years after having GD.

rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/997295/Gestational_Diabetes

There's a link to a great post about GD
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am diabetic and here is what I suggest: go see an endochrinologist asap. If doc says you cannot get into one, tell him to call others till you can be seen. Thats crap to make you wait as untreated GD can be very dangerous to you and the baby.if your levels will not come down, they will try a pill form of insulin, then move to injectable insulins. there is alot of info on the web, google"gestational diabetes" and you will find support. Remember your doc works for you, and he owes it to you to help you find someone now. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am a little miffed that your doctor doesn't know another Physician that he can call a favor in to get you in. Call your insurance company, they will find a specialist for you and help you get in. They'd rather pay to help you find a specialist than pay for any complications that would result by not seeing one. Look up Endocrinologists in the phone book or your insurance plan network and call them yourself.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009