umbilicord?

Okay with a newborn I have been told that your suppost to put rubbing alcohol on the umbilicord to help dry it out but then i was also told not to which I'm I suppost to do, and is it okay for her diaper to go up and over the cord as long as its not tight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used rubbing alcohol she fine w/ the diaper just fold it down that what i did
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 12:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i used alcohol pads and folded the diaper down. it fell off 12 days after birth.
    Jordanlover05

Answer by Jordanlover05 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ask your doc about the alcohol... I used it, but the most important thing is to not bathe baby(submerge style in tub) until the cord has dried and dropped off and for boys until circumsision had healed.but yes fold diaper down so it doesnt rub. If it comes off too early it can be painful. Also you could cover it loosely with a non stick gauze pad and clean it, let it air out and then cover loosely again. But it will heal faster if you do not mess with it other than to do the alcohol cleaning, and leave it exposed to air.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• well shes 4 days old and i haven't been so i'm just wondering if I should be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Alot of doctors will tel you they dont use alcohol anymore, they will let it dry up on its own. Call your doctor and ask them. But they should have told you how to care for it at the hospital, werent you listening?
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• they never told me anything they didn't teach me anything my mom had to show me how to give her a bath even so i was just wondering
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Hmm thats weird, bad hospital!!!!!!!!!! Before I left home with DD I had to watch videos on how to bath her and how to put her carseat in and some other things too, they also showed me how to give her a sponge bath and told me how to care for her cord. But yeah most docs will tell you they dont use alcohol anymore to dry them up, they let it run its own course.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When I was getting ready to leave the hospital and come home for the first time they had me watchign all kinds of videos. They also told me not to put anything on the cord that it would just dry up and fall off on it's own. I know my daughter's fell off sometime last week and she is almost 3 weeks old now. I hope it helps.
    hoover3352

Answer by hoover3352 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Alcohol drys the skin and that is why it's not used as much anymore. But some hospitals and doctors still use it.
    The cord should be outside of the diaper so it doesn't get soiled with urine and stool. You want to keep it clean and dry so it dosen't get infected.
    To give her a bath while she has her cord on... get a tub of water and use a wash cloth on her... start with just water on her face and clean that and then you can use baby shampoo on her. Start with her head and then dry it right away then move to each body part washing then drying and covering her back up so she doesn't get cold. Do her butt last.
    When her cord falls off you can use an infant tub to give her a bath.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The hospital I had my son at gave me some alcohol swabs to use on it but I never did and it fell off in a little over a week. I still folded the diaper down though just so it wouldn't get rubbed or tugged on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2009